USS Tesota (YN-95)

Career (USA)
Name: USS Tesota
Namesake: A small leguminous tree found in Mexico and the southwestern section of the United States. Also called desert ironwood.
Ordered: as YN-95
Builder: Canulette Shipbuilding Co., Slidell, Louisiana
Laid down: 11 December 1943 as Tesota (YN-95)
Launched: 29 July 1944
Commissioned: 16 January 1945 as USS ATA-217
Decommissioned: 7 May 1946, at Mare Island Naval Shipyard, Vallejo, California
Reclassified: AN-71, 20 January 1944; USS ATA-217, 10 August 1944
Struck: 21 May 1946
Fate: transferred to the U.S. Maritime Commission, 25 March 1947; fate unknown
General characteristics
Type: Palo Blanco-class auxiliary fleet tug
Displacement: 1,275 tons
Length: 194' 6"
Beam: 34' 7"
Draft: 14' 1"
Propulsion: diesel-electric, single screw, 2,500hp
Speed: 12.1 knots
Complement: 57 officers and enlisted
Armament: two single 40mm AA gun mounts

USS ATA-217 was an of the United States Navy built near the end of World War II. Originally laid down as Tesota (YN-95), a net tender of the , she was redesignated as AN-71, a net layer, before launch. Before completion, the name Tesota was cancelled and the ship was named ATA-217, an unnamed auxiliary ocean tug.

Career

ATA-217 was laid down as the net tender Tesota (YN-95) on 11 December 1943 at Slidell, Louisiana, by the Canulette Shipbuilding Company; was reclassified a net laying ship and redesignated AN-71 on 20 January 1944; and was launched on 29 July 1944. However, the name Tesota was canceled on 10 August 1944, and the ship was reclassified an auxiliary ocean tug and re-designated ATA-217 on the same day. She was commissioned on 16 January 1945, Lt. H. A. V. Post, USNR, in command. Following a short shakedown cruise early in February 1945, the tug departed Norfolk, Virginia, for Hawaii and arrived at her home port, Pearl Harbor, on 1 March. After serving there for more than a year, the ship proceeded to the U.S. West Coast.

ATA-217 was decommissioned at Mare Island, California, on 7 May, and was struck from the Navy List on 21 May 1946. ATA-217 was transferred to the U.S. Maritime Commission on 25 March 1947 and was sold the same day to Martinolick Shipbuilding Co., San Francisco, California.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • - ATA-217


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.