USS Trident (AMc-107)

Career (US)
Laid down: 25 April 1941
Launched: 8 October 1941
In service: 18 February 1942
Out of service: 16 November 1945
Struck: 28 November 1945
Fate: sold, private sale, New York City
General characteristics
Displacement: 195 tons
Length: 98 ft 5 in (30.00 m)
Beam: 23 ft 6 in (7.16 m)
Draught: 10 ft 8 in (3.25 m)
Speed: 10 knots
Complement: 17
Armament: two .50-cal. machine guns

USS Trident (AMc-107) was an Accentor-class coastal minesweeper acquired by the U.S. Navy for the dangerous task of removing mines from minefields laid in the water to prevent ships from passing.

Trident was laid down on 25 April 1941 at Rockland, Maine, by Snow Shipyards; launched on 8 October 1941; and placed in service at Boston, Massachusetts, on 18 February 1942, Ens. Edmond J. Massello, USNR, Officer in Charge.

World War II service

Following a training period at the Mine Warfare School, Yorktown, Virginia, Trident reported to Section Base Boston, for duty with the 1st Naval District. During the first week in March 1942, the wooden-hulled coastal minesweeper plied the waters of Boston harbor and its approaches, performing tasks which would soon become familiar. At night, she functioned as a guard and escort vessel; then, as sunrise came, she began daily exploratory sweeps, searching for moored, magnetic, and sonic mines in the harbor and its approaches. At times, severe weather or low visibility forced Trident to secure from sweep operations; and, in foggy weather, she helped to regulate harbor traffic.

Continuing instruction, drills, and periods of repair broke the minesweeper's routine. After Trident was assigned to the harbor entrance control post, she had occasion to locate and investigate suspicious small craft -- a welcome diversion from the usual inner harbor activities.

In June 1942, the 1st Naval District command was incorporated into the Northern Group of the Eastern Sea Frontier, and Trident continued her duties in coastal waters for over three years until 8 August 1945, when she arrived at Charleston, South Carolina, and reported to the Commandant, 6th Naval District, for disposition.

She was placed out of service on 16 November 1945 and her name was struck from the Navy list on the 28th. On 22 October 1946, Trident was transferred to the Maritime Commission; and she was subsequently sold to Benjamin Feldman of New York City.

References

This article incorporates text from the here.

See also

External links

  • NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive- Trident (AMc 107)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.