USS Turkey (MSC(O)-56)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Turkey.
Career (United States)
Name: USS YMS-444
Builder: C. Hiltebrant Dry Dock Co., Inc.
Kingston, New York
Laid down: 16 November 1943
Launched: 20 July 1944
Commissioned: 26 December 1944
Decommissioned: 30 August 1946
In service: 30 August 1946, Naval reserve training ship out of New York
Renamed: USS Turkey (AMS-56), 1 September 1947
Namesake: turkey
Recommissioned: April 1950, in reserve
Recommissioned: 21 November 1950, full
Reclassified: MSC(O)-56, 7 February 1955
Decommissioned: 23 November 1956
In service: 27 May 1957, as Naval Reserve training ship out of Toledo (to 1960), and Fall River (from 1960)
Out of service: September 1968
Struck: October 1968
Fate: sold August 1969; ultimate fate is unknown
General characteristics
Class & type: YMS-135 subclass of
Displacement: 320 tons
Length: 136 ft (41 m)
Beam: 24 ft 6 in (7.47 m)
Draft: 8 ft (2.4 m) (mean)
Propulsion: 2 × 880 bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines
2 shafts
Speed: 14 knots (26 km/h)
Complement: 33
Armament: 1 × 3"/50 caliber gun mount
2 × 20 mm guns
2 × depth charge projectors

USS Turkey (AMS-56/YMS-444) was a YMS-135 subclass of built for the United States Navy during World War II.

History

Turkey was a coastal minesweeper of the United States Navy laid down as YMS-444 on 16 November 1943 at Kingston, New York, by C. Hiltebrant Dry Dock Co., Inc.; launched on 20 July 1944; and commissioned on 26 December 1944, Lt. George H. H. Huey, USNR, in command.

YMS-444 completed fitting out at New York and, in January 1945, made a shakedown voyage to Little Creek, Virginia. On 6 February, she arrived at Norfolk, Virginia, and remained there while members of her crew attended Fire Fighting School. Then, late in February, she returned to New York. In March, the auxiliary motor minesweeper began operating out of Tompkinsville, New York.

On 20 July, she departed New York and, after a stop at Miami, Florida, steamed through the Panama Canal to the California coast, arriving at Los Angeles, California on 8 September. On the 17th, she set her course westward for Pearl Harbor and the Marshalls. Although the war was over when YMS-444 arrived in the Pacific Ocean, there were still enormous tasks left for the minesweepers. YMS-444 pursued her duties operating out of Saipan and Eniwetok in October 1945. In November, she moved on to the Ryūkyūs and Japan, sweeping mines in the Kyūshū-Korea and Honshū areas, and remained in Japanese waters into the new year.

On 24 February 1946, she departed Kure and set her course, via the Marianas and Marshalls, for Pearl Harbor and California. After pausing at San Pedro, California, in April, she got underway for the Panama Canal Zone on the 27th. It was 6 June before she departed the Canal Zone and set her course, via Charleston, for New York. She was decommissioned on 30 August 1946 and remained in the 3rd Naval District as a U.S. Naval Reserve training ship.

For the next six years, YMS-444 operated out of New York ports and on the Great Lakes. On 1 September 1947, she was named USS Turkey and redesignated a motor minesweeper, AMS-56. She was placed in commission, in reserve, in April 1950, and she returned to active status on 21 November.

Turkey returned to the Atlantic Ocean in March 1952 and was assigned to serve with the Mine Forces, Atlantic Fleet, in August. During the following four years, she operated out of U.S. East Coast ports with occasional voyages to the Caribbean. On 7 February 1955, she was reclassified an old coastal minesweeper MSC(O)-56.

She arrived at Charleston on 9 November 1956 and was decommissioned there on 23 November 1956. Then, on 1 May 1957, she departed Charleston, steamed via New York, Halifax, and Montreal, and reported to the Commander, 4th Naval District, Toledo, Ohio, on 27 May 1957.

In 1960, Turkey was transferred to the 1st Naval District to continue as a Reserve training ship. As such, she operated out of Fall River, Massachusetts, until September 1968 when she was replaced as a training ship by USS Jacana (MSC-193). Her name was struck from the Naval Vessel Register as of October 1968, and she was sold in August 1969.

Her ultimate fate is unknown.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery at navsource.org


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.