USS Upham

South Carolina, on 23 July 1945
Career
Name: USS Upham
Namesake: Admiral Frank B. Upham (1872-1939), a U.S. Navy officer
Builder: Charleston Navy Yard
Laid down: 13 December 1943
Launched: 9 March 1944
Sponsored by: Mrs. Mabel Upham
Commissioned: 23 July 1945
Decommissioned: 25 April 1946
Reclassified: From destroyer escort (DE-283) to high-speed transport (APD-99) 17 July 1944
Struck: 1 June 1960
Fate: Sold to Colombia January 1962 for use as floating power station
Notes: Laid down as Rudderow-class destroyer escort USS Upham (DE-283)
General characteristics
Class & type:
Displacement: 2,130 long tons (2,164 t) full
Length: 306 ft (93 m)
Beam: 37 ft (11 m)
Draft: 12 ft 7 in (3.84 m)
Speed: 23 knots (43 km/h; 26 mph)
Troops: 162
Complement: 204
Armament: • 1 × 5 in (130 mm) gun
• 6 × 40 mm guns
• 6 × 20 mm guns
• 2 × depth charge tracks

USS Upham (APD-99), ex-DE-283, was a United States Navy high-speed transport in commission from 1945 to 1946.

Construction and commissioning

Upham was laid down as the Rudderow-class destroyer escort USS Upham (DE-283) on 13 December 1943 by the Charleston Navy Yard, and was launched on 9 March 1944, sponsored by Mrs. Mabel Upham, the widow of the ship's namesake, Admiral Frank B. Upham. The ship was reclassified as a Crosley-class high-speed transport and redesignated APD-99 on 17 July 1944. After conversion to her new role, she was commissioned on 23 July 1945 with Lieutenant Richard E. Farwell, USNR, in command.

Service history

Upham conducted her shakedown training in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, from 8 August 1945 to 10 September 1945; during the cruise, World War II came to an end with Japan's capitulation on 15 August 1945. Too late to participate in combat, Upham exercised with an operational training unit in the Chesapeake Bay until 5 October 1945. She then served a brief tour of training duty out of Miami, Florida, from 8 October 1945 to 22 October 1945.

Shifting north to Hampton Roads, Virginia, Upham reached Norfolk, Virginia, in time for Navy Day festivities before moving to Jacksonville, Florida, to prepare for inactivation.

Decommissioning and disposal

Decommissioned on 25 April 1946, Upham was placed in the Atlantic Reserve Fleet group on the St. Johns River at Green Cove Springs, Florida. The ship remained inactive and was stricken from the Navy List on 1 June 1960.

Sold to the government of Colombia in January 1962, Upham was converted for service as a floating power station.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • NavSource Online: Amphibious Photo Archive USS Upham (APD-99), and served in that role at least into the 1970s.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.