World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Upper Bicutan

Article Id: WHEBN0039305213
Reproduction Date:

Title: Upper Bicutan  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Tugatog, Tinajeros, Malabon, Newport City, Metro Manila, Calumpang, Marikina, Baclaran
Collection: Barangays of Metro Manila, Taguig
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Upper Bicutan

Barangay Upper Bicutan (PSGC: 137 607 015) is one of twenty-eight villages of Taguig City in Metro Manila in the Philippines.

History

In 1909, Bicutan is land surrounded by Pasig, Taguig, and Parañaque. A large part of it was covered by Fort William McKinley. Powered by Proclamation No. 423 signed by Carlos P. Garcia on July 12, 1957 the land was initially allocated only for soldiers.

Due to the requests of citizens as well as by Pasig, Parañaque and Taguig governments that Bicutan not be included in the areas stated in the Proclamation 423, the then President Diosdado Macapagal signed Proclamation No. 246 that directed that Bicutan not be included in the operation of Proclamation No. 423. In the years 1964 and early 1965 the occupiers had their status as owners of their own land confirmed.

The formerly vacant area was soon filled with houses. Before the end of the year, the population of Bicutan has not dropped below 3,600 families.

Gradually the population rose until a lack of schools was recognized for this area, which was still remote from other urban areas. Therefore, on July 16, 1966 a collaborative effort led to the erection of a school.

The Sangguniang Barangay Upper Bicutan was under the management of Barangay Captain, Mr. Venancio T. Osano. Upper Bicutan's Osano Park was named after this early leader.

Soon the community had a large water tank, an elementary school and a few paved roads, as well as the availability of electricity.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.