World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Vasil Levski National Military University

Article Id: WHEBN0019931782
Reproduction Date:

Title: Vasil Levski National Military University  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Veliko Tarnovo, Military of Bulgaria, Military academy
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Vasil Levski National Military University

The gateway of the University with the central administrative unit
Vasil Levski National Military University
NMU seal
Motto Bulgarian: Времето е в нас и ние сме във времето!
Established 26 November 1878
Rector Brigadier-General Tsvetan Harizanov
Location Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
Website www.nvu.bg
Dormitories

The Vasil Levski National Military University (Bulgarian: Национален военен университет "Васил Левски", Natsionalen voenen universitet "Vasil Levski") is Bulgaria's national military academy.

Founded in 1878 as a military school in Plovdiv, it was moved to Sofia the same year. On 19 April 1924, it was promoted to university status and in 1945, it was named in honour of Bulgarian national hero Vasil Levski (1837–1873). Since 1958, it has been headquarters in Veliko Tarnovo.

On 14 June 2002, the structure of Bulgarian military academies was reorganized: the Veliko Tarnovo-based Vasil Levski National Military University also covers the artillery academy (now a faculty) in Shumen and the air force faculty in Dolna Mitropoliya. The Rakovski Defence and Staff College remains independent.

External links

  • Official website (Bulgarian)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.