World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Vidzeme

Article Id: WHEBN0003397469
Reproduction Date:

Title: Vidzeme  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Ainaži, Salacgrīva Municipality, Latvia, Yakov Alksnis, Mazsalaca Manor
Collection: Historical Regions in Latvia, Subdivisions of Latvia
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Vidzeme

Coat of arms of Vidzeme
Details

Vidzeme () is one of the historical and cultural regions of Latvia. Literally meaning "the Middle Land" it is situated in north-central Latvia north of the Daugava River. Sometimes in German it is also known as Livland- German form from Latin Livonia, though it comprises only a small part of Medieval Livonia and about half (Latvian part) of Swedish Livonia.

Vidzemes guberņa - Livland Governorate is also bigger than Vidzeme, since it corresponds roughly to Swedish Livonia.

History

In ancient times the territory of Vidzeme was inhabited by Latgalians and Livs (near the coast of the Gulf of Riga and along the lower reaches of the Daugava and Gauja rivers). Until the German conquest in the 13th century the Daugava, which now forms the south-east border of Vidzeme, was the boundary between the lands of the Livs and Latgalians on the right bank and those of the Semigallians and Selonians on the left bank of the river. The most notable Latgalian region in today’s Vidzeme was Tālava.

After the Livonian War part of the Livonian Confederation on the right bank of the Daugava river and the Patrimony of Riga was ceded to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, and the Duchy of Livonia (the left bank forming the Duchy of Courland and Semigalia).

After the Polish-Swedish War concluded by the Truce of Altmark in 1629 Sweden acquired the western part of the Duchy of Livonia roughly as far as the Aiviekste River, since then forming Vidzeme's eastern border.

During the course of the Great Northern War Swedish Livonia was conquered by the Russian Empire and ceded to Russia at the Treaty of Nystad in 1721. In place of Livonia the Russians created the Riga Governorate, but in 1796 the Riga Governorate was renamed the Governorate of Livonia (Latvian: Vidzemes guberņa, German: Livländisches Gouvernement, Russian: Лифляндская губерния / Liflyandskaya guberniya, Estonian: Liivimaa kubermang). After the end of World War I it was split between the newly independent countries of Latvia and Estonia.

Historical regions of Latvia, together with Latvian cultural groups.

See also

External links

  • Vidzeme Tourism Portal
  • Vidzeme University

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.