World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wfrm

Article Id: WHEBN0008735668
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wfrm  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of radio stations in Pennsylvania, WVTT, 600 AM, List of AM radio stations in the United States by call sign (initial letters WA–WF)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wfrm

WFRM
City of license Coudersport, Pennsylvania
Broadcast area Coudersport, Pennsylvania
Frequency 600 (kHz)
ERP 1000 Watts (day)
46 Watts (night)
Class D2-Non Directional AM
Callsign meaning 'W'Fa RM & Home Broadcasting
Owner L-Com inc.
Website http://www.wfrm.net

WFRM is a commercially licensed AM radio station, licensed to Coudersport, Pennsylvania, the seat of Potter County. WFRM has served listeners in Potter, Elk, Mckean & Cameron counties for 60 years at the federally assigned frequency of 600 kHz at a maximum power output of 1,000 watts day, 46 watts night. WFRM and its sister station, WHKS-FM, are owned by L-Com, Inc.

History: Beginnings in Smethport

Back in the summer of 1953, the Smethport Centennial Celebration was the first "special event" covered by WFRM, the new radio station in Coudersport just constructed by the Farm & Home Broadcasting Company. The station first went on the air in May of that year. Broadcast lines were installed and temporary broadcast facilities were put in place in Smethport to cover many of the Centennial activities. Pete and Bill, the stars of the Morning Show, were photographed in the derby hats that everyone in Smethport was wearing as part of the celebration. That photo is still on the wall at WFRM's current studio location at 9 South Main Street in downtown Coudersport.

When the McKean County Fair came along again, radio was a big part. Gert Curley, who was widely known as "Betty Bradford" brought her popular WESB interview show to the fairgrounds. WFRM also came to the Fair. A large tent along the midway was filled with country music entertainers from McKean, Potter and surrounding counties. Crowds loved it.

One of the early jocks in WFRM's tenure was afternoon host Danny Neaverth, who worked at the station between 1957 and 1959, becoming better known as the morning man at legendary Buffalo flamethrower 1520 WKBW.[1]

Encouraged by the enthusiastic reception from folks in Smethport, WFRM decided to put a local office and studio in Smethport. It was located on the second floor of the Auto Parts store on West Main Street. Bob and Lois Johnson became the nucleus of the staff in Smethport and an effort was made to expand the service to this part of the WFRM Coverage area. Russ Wells was the announcer, and Bob Morrison was the engineer. An hour each day was broadcast over the radio from this studio. These daily broadcasts continued for about three years. Meanwhile, the Johnsons had relocated to Kane, and joined the staff that was building the new radio station facility there.

WFRM was joined by its FM sister, WFRM-FM, on September 18, 1985. WFRM-FM in 2008 received approval by the FCC to be licensed to Portville NY and was sold to Colonial Radio Group, owners of WLMI shortly thereafter. WFRM-AM was sold to L-Com (Lent Communications, a company controlled by David Lent), owner of Port Allegany-based WHKS. Lent had worked from the time of his graduation from Coudersport area Jr. Sr. High School in 1973 up until former co-workers James (Jim) Linn and Theresa Blewett constructed WHKS-FM in Port Allegany, PA in July of 1990. Linn & Blewett sold L-Com Inc. (licensee of WHKS) to Lent in 1993.

WFRM, under Lent's ownership, offers music programming of "Adult Standards" with world & national news from ABC radio.

External links

  • Broadcasting and Cable Yearbook

References

  • Query the FCC's FM station database for WFRM
  • Radio-Locator information on WFRM
  • Query Nielsen Audio's FM station database for WFRM

Coordinates: 41°46′19″N 78°01′16″W / 41.7720°N 78.0210°W / 41.7720; -78.0210

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.