World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Western Nebraska Community College

Article Id: WHEBN0004080346
Reproduction Date:

Title: Western Nebraska Community College  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Nebraska Methodist College, Clarkson College, Midland University, List of colleges and universities in Nebraska, National Football League 1950s All-Decade Team
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Western Nebraska Community College

Western Nebraska Community College
Motto The Place to Be
Established 1926
Type Community College
President Todd R. Holcomb
Students 2,400
Location Scottsbluff, Nebraska, USA
Colors Blue      and Gold     
Mascot Cougars
Website http://www.wncc.edu/
Western Nebraska Community College is located in Nebraska
Western Nebraska Community College
Western Nebraska Community College (Nebraska)

Western Nebraska Community College (WNCC) is a community college in Scottsbluff, Nebraska. Its athletics teams are known as the Cougars.

WNCC was previously known as Scottsbluff Junior College, Scotts Bluff County College, and Nebraska Western College.

WNCC also has two other campuses in Sidney, Nebraska, and Alliance, Nebraska.

History

Western Nebraska Community College was established in Scottsbluff, Nebraska in September 1926 as an extension of the University of Nebraska. WNCC was originally named Scottsbluff Junior College. The College became inactive after only one year and was reopened in September 1929, as part of the Scottsbluff Public Schools System. The College operated as part of that system until September 1932, when it became a public, two-year institution. In June 1968, Scotts Bluff County College became Nebraska Western College. The College became Scottsbluff’s only non-parochial institution of higher education after private Hiram Scott College went bankrupt in 1971[1] and was acquired by the state.[2]

The State Legislature formed the Western Technical Community College Area in 1973, which included Nebraska Western College, Western Nebraska Technical College and the Alliance School of Practical Nursing. On July 1, 1978, the Area Board of Governors placed all three entities into a single college, multiple campus setting. July 1, 1988, the Board of Governors discontinued the separate campus names and changed the name of the college to Western Nebraska Community College.

Sidney Campus

The Western Nebraska Vocational Technical School was founded in 1965 by the State Legislature in Cheyenne County, Nebraska at the former Sioux Army Depot approximately 12 miles (19 km) west of Sidney, Nebraska. In October 1966, classes began at the technical vocational school. The school changed its name to Western Nebraska Technical College in 1971. On July 1, 1978, the Area Board of Governors placed all three entities (Nebraska Western College, Western Nebraska Technical College, and Alliance School of Practical Nursing) into a single college, multiple campus setting. July 1, 1988, the Board of Governors discontinued the separate campus names and changed the name of the college to Western Nebraska Community College.

Alliance Campus

The Alliance School of Practical Nursing started in 1957 in Alliance, Nebraska at St. Josephs Hospital. In 1979, the school hired a part-time coordinator and began offering a variety of general education and vocational classes in conjunction with Nebraska Western College. On July 1, 1978, the Area Board of Governors placed all three entities (Nebraska Western College, Western Nebraska Technical College, and Alliance School of Practical Nursing) into a single college, multiple campus setting. July 1, 1988, the Board of Governors discontinued the separate campus names and changed the name of the college to Western Nebraska Community College.

John N. Harms Advanced Technology Center

Given the increase in demand for worker training, retraining and economic development activities, the College established the Center for Business and Individual Training (CBIT). The CBIT, now known as the John N. Harms Advanced Technology Center of Nebraska (HATC). Named after former Western Nebraska Community College president (who served from 1976 to 2006) John Harms, HATC provides short-term, high-impact skills training to assist in job creation and capacity building for area companies. The 42,000-square-foot (3,900 m2) facility includes computer-based training, construction trades, machine tool and hazardous materials training, in addition to flexible training spaces.

Notable alumni

References

  1. ^ http://www.hiramscott.com/
  2. ^ McKibbin, Carroll R. "Nebraska." AAUP Bulletin 59, no. 3 (1973): 293-298. [1]
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.