World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Woburn Square

Article Id: WHEBN0002158045
Reproduction Date:

Title: Woburn Square  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Gower Street, London, Gray's Inn Road, UCL Main Building, University of London, UCL School of Slavonic and East European Studies
Collection: Bloomsbury, Squares in Camden
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Woburn Square

Woburn Square

Woburn Square is the smallest of the Bloomsbury Squares and owned by the University of London. Designed by Thomas Cubitt and built between 1829 and 1847, it is named after Woburn Abbey, the main country seat of the Dukes of Bedford, who developed much of Bloomsbury.

The original construction was of 41 second rate houses, smaller than those of adjoining Gordon Square and hence with lower rents. The square was built on the boundary between the parishes of St. Pancras and Holborn and the boundary marker stones are still visible in the gardens. The two squares were built to improve land that was originally a swamp.

This narrow square was longer, extending down towards Russell Square, before the southern half was demolished in the 1970s to make space for new buildings for the School of Oriental and African Studies.

See also

Other squares on the Bedford Estate in Bloomsbury included:

Books on Bloomsbury architecture

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.