World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers

Article Id: WHEBN0000375548
Reproduction Date:

Title: Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Leonard Pagliero, Livery company, Chinaman (porcelain), Livery companies, Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths
Collection: 1664 Establishments in England, Glassmaking Companies, Livery Companies, Organizations Established in the 1660S
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers

Contents

  • The Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers of London 1
    • History 1.1
    • Charitable activities 1.2
      • The Glass Sellers' Art & Craft Award 1.2.1
  • See also 2
  • References 3

The Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers of London

The Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers (Glass Sellers' Company) is one of the Livery Companies of the City of London. The Company received its Royal Charter from King Charles II in 1664. Its role was to regulate the Glass Selling and Pot-Making industries within the City of London, and to ensure quality and fair trade. Aspiring traders in glass were apprenticed to a master who was a member of the Glass Sellers Company. He in turn was accountable to the court and officers of the Livery and ultimately to The Master of the Company. Today the role of Company is to stimulate interest in the many and varied aspects of glass and carry out charitable works, with special emphasis on education.

Representatives of almost all the sectors of the modern glass industry are members of the Livery. These include the manufacture and sale of container glass, medical glass, art glass and the Telecommunications, Media and Technology sector.

History

The Worshipful Company of Glass-Sellers of London ranks 71st in precedence among the City’s Livery Companies and received its incorporated Royal Charter in 1664. This, together with an earlier Charter dated 1635 which was not incorporated by the Court of Aldermen, for reasons which are now obscure, are both still held by the Company. The 1630s were troubled times and problems in the glass trade periodically collided with a background of political unrest.

Within the City of London there already were Livery Companies controlling the manufacture and quality of glazing for windows and spectacle manufacture; and the new Glass Sellers Company was therefore established to cover all other parts of the glass trade. It was to be responsible not only for the production of drinking vessels and tableware, but also the manufacture of looking-glasses and glass vials – such as those then used in the making of hour glasses.

The main task of the new Company, all of whose members were previously members of other London Companies, was dominated by retailers – often those working with china, which was then imported from China in large-scale lots for sale to retailers at auction.

Charitable activities

The Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers Charity Fund supports the wider glass industry through its awards, provides scholarships and bursaries for education, supports the City and its specific appeals and the less privileged in and around the City of London.

The Glass Sellers' Art & Craft Award

Working under the patronage of the Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers, George Ravenscroft made his famous discovery of Lead Crystal. Its manufacture subsequently began in 1674 at his workshop which is on the site now occupied by the Savoy Hotel in the Strand. Since then the Glass Sellers Company has continued, in various ways to support the art of glassmaking, consolidating this in the main, in two awards for Glass Art. The Glass Sellers Prize used to be an annual award but since 2008 has been linked to the British Glass Biennale and is awarded biennially.

See also

References

The Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers of London

How George Ravenscroft discovered English Lead Crystal

Oxford Index - George Ravenscroft

The Worshipful Company of Glass Sellers of London by William Ramsey, 1898

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.