World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Zagłębie Dąbrowskie

Article Id: WHEBN0003776058
Reproduction Date:

Title: Zagłębie Dąbrowskie  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lesser Poland, Dąbrowa Górnicza, 1981 in Poland, Sztafeta, Będzin Power Station
Collection: Lesser Poland, Regions of Poland
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Zagłębie Dąbrowskie

Zagłębie Dąbrowskie (Polish pronunciation: , Dąbrowa Basin in English usage) is a geographical and historical region in southern Poland. It forms a part of Lesser Poland, though it shares some cultural and historical features with the neighbouring Upper Silesia. The region is sometimes referred to in English as Zaglembie or Zaglembia, especially in Jewish publications written in the English language. ([1], [2])

On March 25, 1992, the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sosnowiec was created. It is called sometimes the Diocese of Zagłębie.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • Name and Capital 2
  • History 3
  • Zagłębie Dialect of the Polish Language 4
  • Jews of Zagłębie 5
  • External links 6

Geography

Zagłębie is a highly industrialised and densely populated region of southern Lesser Poland, bordering Silesia through the Brynica river (running between Sosnowiec and Katowice). Apart from the three main cultural and industrial centres of the area (Dąbrowa Górnicza, Sosnowiec and Będzin), the region also includes a number of smaller cities. Among them are Czeladź, Wojkowice, Siewierz and Sławków, and also smaller villages: Psary, Ożarowice, Bobrowniki and Mierzęcice.

Since the borders of the region were never clearly defined, other towns are also sometimes listed among the cities of Zagłębie. These are: Zawiercie, Poręba, Włodowice, Kroczyce, Ogrodzieniec, Łazy and Olkusz.

Name and Capital

The name Zagłębie Dąbrowskie was first used in ca. 1850, by Jozef Cieszkowski, a clerk employed at Western Coal District in Dabrowa Gornicza. At that time, the town of Dabrowa Gornicza was quickly growing, emerging as a main center of the region. The adjective “dabrowskie” comes from the name of the town. The capital of the region has never been officially established. Sosnowiec is the largest city of Zaglebie, but Bedzin is regarded as its oldest urban center.

History

Until the 19th century, Zagłębie shared the fate of the rest of the region of Lesser Poland, and belonged to Krakow Voivodeship, with the exception of the Duchy of Siewierz, which between 1177 and 1443 was under the rule of Silesian dukes. On 30 December 1443, the Duchy was incorporated back into Lesser Poland as Polish fief and a property of the bishops of Kraków. After the Partitions of Poland, in 1795 Zagłębie was briefly annexed to the Prussian province of New Silesia. In 1807 however, during the Napoleonic Wars and the Polish-Austrian War, it was liberated and became part of the Duchy of Warsaw.

After the Congress of Vienna, along with the greater part of the Duchy, Zagłębie became part of the Russian-controlled Kingdom of Poland. Simultaneously, in both Upper Silesia and neighbouring Zagłębie, large deposits of coal were discovered. With the opening of the Warsaw-Vienna railroad in 1848, the region became the most industrialised part of the Kingdom. Despite developing simultaneously with adjacent Silesia, the region remained outside of German influence and remained largely Polish, a fact that is still a source of a certain animosity between the Silesians and the Zagłębiacy, natives of Zagłębie. Zagłębie is sometimes called "Red", because of its Socialist or Communist traditions (it was one of main centers of the Revolution in the Kingdom of Poland (1905–1907)), while Silesia is more conservative and religious.

After Poland regained her independence in 1918, Zagłębie became part of the Kielce Voivodship, while the formerly German-held Upper Silesia became part of a separate Silesian Voivodship. After WWII most of Zagłębie was attached to the Silesian Voivodship, later Katowice Voivodship and recently Silesian Voivodship.

Zagłębie Dialect of the Polish Language

Residents of the region spoke their own dialect, which now is largely extinct. It belonged to Lesser Poland group of dialects, with some Silesian and Russian additions (because Zagłębie in 1815 - 1915 was part of the Russian Empire). Several Polonized words of Russian origin were in common use, such as “skolko” (standard Polish: “ile”, English: “How much”), or “konfiety” (standard Polish: “cukierki”, English: “sweets”).

Jews of Zagłębie

The memorial forest in memory of the Jews of Zagłębie, near the city of Modiin in Israel

At the start of World War II, 100,000 Jews lived in the area of Zagłębie. On August 12, 1942 all the Jews of the region were gathered together and after a selection process, 12,500 of them were deemed unfit for work and were sent to Auschwitz for immediate extermination. The rest of the Jews were sent to slave labor camps throughout the Nazi empire. A forest was planted in Israel near the city of Modiin in memory of the Jews of Zagłębie. The memorial plaque reads:

Tens of Jewish communities thrived and prospered throughout the Zagłęmbie region of south west Poland over the course of 700 years. The Jews of Zagłębie, who numbered 100,000 before the War, were destroyed by Nazi Germany. The Jews of Zagłęmbie resisted their Nazi enemies with honor and resourcefulness until death.

External links

  • - the Zaglebie WorldHeritage

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.