World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Zapata Air Force Station

Article Id: WHEBN0030557348
Reproduction Date:

Title: Zapata Air Force Station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Willow Run Air Force Station, Bendix AN/FPS-14 Radar, Bendix AN/FPS-18 Radar, Elliston Ridge Air Station, Cape Makkovik Air Station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Zapata Air Force Station

Zapata Air Force Station
Part of Air Defense Command (ADC)
Zapata AFS is located in Texas
Zapata AFS
Zapata AFS
Location of Zapata AFS, Texas
Coordinates
Type Air Force Station
Site information
Controlled by  United States Air Force
Site history
Built 1957
In use 1957-1961
Garrison information
Garrison 742d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron

Zapata Air Force Station (ADC ID: TM-189) is a closed United States Air Force General Surveillance Radar station. It is located 3.2 miles (5.1 km) north of Zapata, Texas. It was closed in 1961.

History

Zapata Air Force Station came into existence as part of Phase III of the Air Defense Command Mobile Radar program. On October 20, 1953 ADC requested a third phase of twenty-five radar sites be constructed.

The 742d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron was assigned to the station by the 33d Air Division on 1 July 1957. It initially operated an AN/FPS-3A search radar and an AN/FPS-6 height-finder radar, and initially the station functioned as a Ground-Control Intercept (GCI) and warning station. As a GCI station, the squadron's role was to guide interceptor aircraft toward unidentified intruders picked up on the unit's radar scopes.

In addition to the main facility, Zapata operated an AN/FPS-14 Gap Filler site:

  • Delmita, TX (TM-189A):

The site was deactivated on 1 June 1961 due to budgetary constraints. Today what was Zapata Air Force Station was sold to private ownership and the County of Zapata. It is now known as the Laspalmas RV Park. After being sold, part of the base was divided into small lots and sold individually to private owners, who drive mobile trailers or campers to the lots and remain there through the winter months. The remainder of the site is vacant. It has reverted to, and is owned by, the county of Zapata. Most of the buildings remain in use and the site is well-maintained.

Air Force units and assignments

Units:

  • 742d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron, Assigned 1 July 1957 to Zapata Air Force Station
Activated by 33d AD at Oklahoma City AFS on 8 September 1956
Discontinued on 1 June 1961

Assignments:

What was Zapata Air Force Station was sold to private ownership and the County of Zapata. Today it is known as the "HAWK BASE". After being bought by Mr.Roberto Lopez, Sr Founder, Owner and President of Hawk Oilfield Service, Inc. Hawk Base serves as a central station to all

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.