World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

66th Missile Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0017945063
Reproduction Date:

Title: 66th Missile Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: LGM-30 Minuteman, Ellsworth Air Force Base, Leon Vance, 44th Missile Wing, List of USAF Strategic Missile Wings assigned to Strategic Air Command, 44th Fighter Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

66th Missile Squadron

66th Missile Squadron

LGM-30F Minuteman II test launch at Vandenburg AFB, California
Active 1940-1946; 1947-1948; 1950-1960; 1962-1993
Country  United States
Branch  United States Air Force
Type Squadron
Role Intercontinental ballistic missile
Garrison/HQ Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota
Motto THE PEACE KEEPER
Engagements
(American Campaign)


(EAME Theater)

Decorations Air Force Outstanding Unit Award (6x)
Insignia
66th Missile Squadron emblem

The 66th Missile Squadron (66 MS) is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the 44th Operations Group, stationed at Ellsworth AFB, South Dakota.

The 66 MS was equipped with the LGM-30F Minuteman II Intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), with a mission of nuclear deterrence. With the end of the Cold War, the 66th was inactivated on 1 September 1993.

History

World War II

Established in early 1941 as a B-24 Liberator heavy bombardment squadron; trained under Third Air Force in the southeastern United States. After the Pearl Harbor Attack, engaged in Antisubmarine patrols over the Gulf of Mexico.

Deployed to the European Theater of Operations (ETO), being assigned to VIII Bomber Command in England during the summer of 1942. One of the first B-24 Liberator units assigned to the ETO. Engaged in very long range strategic bombardment missions over Occupied Europe and Nazi Germany, attacking strategic targets in France, Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany. Among the targets attacked were submarine installations, industrial establishments, airfields, harbors, shipyards, and other objectives.

Detachment deployed to Twelfth Air Force in Algeria in June 1943 to help facilitate the Allied invasion of Sicily by bombing airfields and marshalling yards in Italy. The detachment also participated in the famous low-level raid on the Ploesti oil fields in Romania on 1 August 1943. Most of the detachment returned to England at the end of August, however some crews and aircraft remained in the Mediterranean Theater of Operations (MTO) and flew very long range attacks over Italy, Romania, Austria, and Sicily and supported Allied ground forces in Sicily as well as attacking Axis forces in Italy supporting the Salerno Invasion of Italy. All aircraft and personnel returned to England in October.

Returned to VIII Bomber Command operations, and supported the Allied Invasion of France in June 1944 by attacking strong points in the beachhead area and transportation targets behind the front lines. The group aided the Caen offensive and the Saint-Lô breakthrough in July. Dropped food, ammunition, and other supplies to troops engaged in the airborne attack on the Netherlands in September. Attacked enemy targets during the Battle of the Bulge, December 1944-January 1945, by striking bridges, tunnels, choke points, rail and road junctions, and communications in the battle area. The squadron attacked airfields and transportation in support of the Western Allied Invasion of Germany, and flew a resupply mission during the airborne assault across the Rhine in March 1945. Combat operations concluded with the German Capitulation in May 1945.

Returned to the United States in June 1945, being reassigned to Second Air Force and redesignated as a B-29 Superfortress Very Heavy bombardment squadron. Trained with B-29s and planned to deploy to the Western Pacific, however the Japanese Capitulation in August canceled deployment plans. Assigned to Kansas as part of Continental Air Forces (later Strategic Air Command) but inactivated in July 1946 as part of the general demobilization of the AAF.

Strategic Air Command

Reactivated in 1947 under SAC as a paper unit; not manned or equipped and inactivated in 1949 due to budget constraints.

Reactivated in 1950 and used as an Operational Training Unit for B-29 aircrews and maintenance personnel being deployed to for Far East Air Forces during the Korean War. Replaced the propeller-driven B-29s with new B-47E Stratojet swept-wing medium bombers in 1953, capable of flying at high subsonic speeds and primarily designed for penetrating the airspace of the Soviet Union. In the late 1950s, the B-47 was considered to be reaching obsolescence, and was being phased out of SAC's strategic arsenal. Began sending aircraft to other B-47 wings as replacements in late 1959, being phased down for inactivation in 1960.

Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Squadron

Reactivated in 1962 as a SAC ICBM missile squadron. Trained with the 850th SMS in HGM-25A Titan I operations in 1962, being made operational with LGM-30B Minuteman I missiles in 1963. Upgraded to the LGM-30F Minuteman II in 1972. Remained on Cold War nuclear alert until in response to President Bush's directive to stand down the Minuteman II. Dissipated launch codes and pin safety control switches at 15 launch control facilities. Deactivation of the entire missile complex ended in the summer of 1993; squadron inactivated on 1 September.

Lineage

  • Constituted 66th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 20 Nov 1940
Activated on 15 Jan 1941
Re-designated 66th Bombardment Squadron (Very Heavy) on 5 Aug 1945
Inactivated on 12 Jul 1946
  • Activated on 1 Jul 1947
Inactivated on 6 Sep 1948
  • Re-designated 66th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 20 Dec 1950
Activated on 2 Jan 1951
Discontinued on 15 Jun 1960
  • Re-designated 66th Strategic Missile Squadron on 19 Mar 1962
Organized on 1 Sep 1962
Re-designated 66th Missile Squadron on 1 Sep 1991
Inactivated on 1 Sep 1993.

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft and missiles

66th Missile Squadron Launch Facilities

Missile Alert Facilities (A-E flights, each controlling 10 missiles) are located as follows:
A-01 19.9 mi S of Howes, SD, 44°19′52″N 102°03′03″W / 44.33111°N 102.05083°W / 44.33111; -102.05083 (A-01)

B-01 7.5 mi NxNW of Wall SD, 44°05′56″N 102°17′01″W / 44.09889°N 102.28361°W / 44.09889; -102.28361 (B-01)

C-01 10.1 mi N of Philip SD, 44°11′01″N 101°42′09″W / 44.18361°N 101.70250°W / 44.18361; -101.70250 (C-01)

D-01 6.7 mi SxSW of Cottonwood SD, 43°52′40″N 101°57′42″W / 43.87778°N 101.96167°W / 43.87778; -101.96167 (D-01)

E-01 6.3 mi NxNE of Kadoka SD, 43°55′12″N 101°28′52″W / 43.92000°N 101.48111°W / 43.92000; -101.48111 (E-01)

See also

References

  • Ellsworth AFB Minuteman Missile Site Coordinates

External links

Coordinates: 44°08′42″N 103°06′13″W / 44.14500°N 103.10361°W / 44.14500; -103.10361 (Ellsworth AFB)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.