Alamosa class cargo ship

300px
USS Alamosa
Career (US)
Name: Alamosa
Namesake: Alamosa County in Colorado
Yard number: MC hull 2101
Laid down: 15 November 1943
Launched: 14 April 1944
Commissioned: 10 August 1944
Decommissioned: 25 August 1945
In service: 25 September 1944
Out of service: 20 May 1946
Struck: 14 June 1946
Fate: sold for scrap on 19 May 1972
General characteristics
Class & type: Alamosa class cargo ship
Type: C1-M-AV1 hull
Displacement: 2,382 t.(lt) 7,450 t.(fl)
Length: 338 ft 6 in (103.17 m)
Beam: 50 ft (15 m)
Draft: 21 ft 1 in (6.43 m)
Propulsion: Diesel, single screw, 1,700 shp
Speed: 11.5 knots (21.3 km/h)
Complement: 79
Armament: one 3"/50 caliber dual purpose gun mount, six 20mm guns

USS Alamosa (AK-156) was a cargo ship commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service in World War II. She was responsible for delivering troops, goods and equipment to locations in the war zone. It is the lead ship of the Alamosa class.

Alamosa (AK-156) was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2101) on 15 November 1943 at Richmond, California, by Kaiser Cargo, Inc.; launched on 14 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J.J. Mullane; and acquired by the Navy and commissioned on 10 August 1944, Lt. Comdr. K.C. Ingraham in command. Alamosa class cargo ships are named after United States Counties.[1]

Recommissioned as an ammunition issue ship

After a brief fitting out period in the San Francisco Bay area, Alamosa sailed for Portland, Oregon. There the ship entered the Commercial Iron Works yards and was decommissioned on 25 August for conversion to an ammunition issue ship. She was recommissioned on 25 September and got underway on 6 October for shakedown out of San Pedro, California. After taking on ammunition at Mare Island, California, Alamosa set sail on November [...] for the Marshall Islands.

World War II Pacific Theatre operations

Upon arriving at Eniwetok on 7 December, Alamosa was assigned to Service Squadron 8. For the duration of World War II, the vessel carried ammunition and cargo between Eniwetok, Saipan, Guam, Ulithi, Peleliu, and Leyte.

Post-war activity

After the end of hostilities, Alamosa entered drydock at Apra Harbor, Guam, on 1 October 1945. Following the completion of repairs, she got underway again on 7 January 1946, bound for home.

Post-war decommissioning

She arrived at Seattle, Washington, on 27 January; was decommissioned there on 20 May 1946; and was turned over to the Maritime Commission's War Shipping Administration for disposal. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 14 June 1946. The ship was sold for scrap to American Ship Dismantlers, Inc. on 19 May 1972. [2]

References

This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive – AK-156 Alamosa


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.