World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Alvescot railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0018717898
Reproduction Date:

Title: Alvescot railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Alvescot, Black Bourton
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Alvescot railway station

Alvescot
Station site in 1990.
Location
Place Alvescot
Area West Oxfordshire
Coordinates

51°44′08″N 1°36′01″W / 51.73561°N 1.60034°W / 51.73561; -1.60034Coordinates: 51°44′08″N 1°36′01″W / 51.73561°N 1.60034°W / 51.73561; -1.60034

Grid reference SP277041
Operations
Original company East Gloucestershire Railway
Pre-grouping Great Western Railway
Post-grouping Great Western Railway
Platforms 1
History
15 January 1873 Station opens
18 June 1962 Station closes
Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom
Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
UK Railways portal

Alvescot railway station was a railway station between the Oxfordshire villages of Alvescot and Black Bourton, in England. It was Oxford, Witney and Fairford Railway between Oxford and Fairford.

History

The station was opened by the East Gloucestershire Railway on 15 January 1873 as part of its 14-mile-10-chain (22.7 km) extension of the Witney Railway from Witney to Fairford. Situated on the Alvescot-Clanfield road, the station served the village of Alvescot, situated less than ½-mile to the north, and also the neighbouring village of Black Bourton.

A small single-platform station was provided without a passing loop or signal box. Ground frames controlled the access to the two goods sidings which trailed off the single track line at the western end of the platform to serve coal staithes, cattle pens and a goods shed. A single refuge siding on the Down side lay just beyond the western end of the station. Next to the station building was a Great Western Railway-type Pagoda shed and to the rear of the building, adjacent to the station forecourt, was a goods lock-up and a brick weigh house. Unlike the Cotswold stone stations at Lechlade, Bampton, Fairford and Witney, the station building at Alvescot was constructed of red brick.

In 1923, the station issued 9,046 tickets and handled 424 parcels and 9,616 tons of goods. In 1944, Carterton station was opened 56 chains (1,100 m) to the east of Alverscot. During the "Arctic" winter of 1946-7, the line was severed at Alvescot when a large snow drift blocked the line. An emergency service was maintained with services running from either end of the snow-filled cutting. During the final years before closure, a British Railways employee at Alvescot made a proposal for the line's operation using diesel railcars that, he claimed, would save at least £20,000. This was to no avail as the station was closed along with the East Gloucestershire Railway on 18 June 1962.

|- style="text-align: center;" | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "| Kelmscott and Langford
Line and station closed | style="background:#8f691e; border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="text-align: center; border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Great Western Railway
East Gloucestershire Railway
| style="background:#8f691e;border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Carterton
Line and station closed |}

Present day

The goods yard remains occupied by G.F. Luckett, coal merchant, now supplied by road. All the station buildings have been demolished and the remainder of the site is a light industrial area. The station house still stands and is called "Station Bungalow". Large sections of trackbed between Alvescot and Kelmscott and Langford remain intact.

References

Notes

Sources

External links

  • Photos and details about the station
  • Station on a navigable O.S. map
  • Archived page with post-closure details of stations
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.