World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Athens Banner-Herald

Type Daily newspaper
Format Broadsheet
Owner(s) Morris Communications
Publisher Scot Morrissey
Editor Donnie Fetter
Founded 1832 (as the Southern Banner)
Headquarters One Press Place
GA 30601
 United States
Website onlineathens.com/abh

The Athens Banner-Herald is a 32,000 circulation Morris Communications.

The newspaper traces its history to the Southern Banner newspaper that first published on March 20, 1832.

In 1921, the newspaper merged with the Athens Herald to become the Athens Banner-Herald. Earl Braswell served as the newspaper's publisher, a position he held until 1965. That same year, Billy and Charles Morris purchased the newspaper.

On June 17, 1965, the weekly Athens Advertiser changed its name to the Athens Daily News and became a seven-day morning paper, competing with the afternoon Athens Banner-Herald. Glenn Vaughn wrote in Athens Daily News' first editorial page: "Our goal is to produce a daily newspaper that will be equal to this magnificent community." Lewis Grizzard served as one of the newspaper's first sports writers.

On December 24, 1967, the Morris family, which owned the Athens Banner-Herald, bought the Athens Daily News. The Morris family continued publishing both papers, though eventually both editorial staffs merged.

In 1991, the News and Banner-Herald moved into a new office located at the corner of Thomas and Broad streets. The building is known as The News Building.

In 1996, the newspapers started a Web page, Athenaeum. The following year, the newspaper started OnlineAthens.com, its current Web page.

In 2001, the News and Banner-Herald merged into a single morning paper under the Banner-Herald name.

The newspaper routinely wins awards in Associated Press competitions, including Story of the Year honors in 2002, 2004, and 2006.

In December 2011, the newspaper's parent company, Morris Communications reached an agreement to sell The News Building to Lulscal, LLC.[1]

Columnists

References

  1. ^ [2]

External links

  • Official website


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.