World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Atkinson Morley Hospital

Article Id: WHEBN0006042430
Reproduction Date:

Title: Atkinson Morley Hospital  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Psychosurgery, 1971 in science, October 1, CT scan
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Atkinson Morley Hospital

Atkinson Morley Hospital (AMH) was located at Copse Hill, Wimbledon, London, SW20, England from 1869 until 2003. The hospital was noted as one of the most advanced brain surgery centres in the world, and in particular for the first use of computed tomography (CT) on a human being on October 1, 1971 by Godfrey Hounsfield for which he was awarded the 1979 Nobel Prize in Medicine.

The hospital was opened in 1869 following a donation of £100,000 by Mr Atkinson Morley, a wealthy hotelier and landowner, to Hyde Park Corner about 1800. 28 acres (11 ha) of land from the Duke of Wellington's old estate in Wimbledon was bought and a building was constructed in the Second Empire style.

The hospital remained a convalescent home until 1939. During Wylie McKissock. As the Regional Neurosciences Unit for South West London, the hospital even had its own helicopter landing facility. Next door was the Wolfson Neurorehabilitation Centre.

The hospital remained open until 2003 when neurology services were relocated to a purpose-built wing of the main St George's Hospital site, which had by then moved to Berkeley Group called 'Wimbledon Hill Park'.[1]

References

  • Milward, Richard, Historic Wimbledon: Caesar's Camp to Centre Court, Fielder's: Wimbledon, 1989.
  1. ^

External links

  • Image Bank - PHOTOS OF ATKINSON MORLEY'S CONVALESCENT HOME AND HOSPITAL

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.