World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Audinghen

Audinghen

Coat of arms
Audinghen
Audinghen

Coordinates: 50°51′09″N 1°36′50″E / 50.8525°N 1.6139°E / 50.8525; 1.6139Coordinates: 50°51′09″N 1°36′50″E / 50.8525°N 1.6139°E / 50.8525; 1.6139

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Boulogne-sur-Mer
Canton Marquise
Intercommunality Terre des Deux Caps
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Marc Sarpaux
Area
 • Land1 13.09 km2 (5.05 sq mi)
Population (2009)
 • Population2 584
 • Population2 density 45/km2 (120/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62054 / 62179
Elevation 0–123 m (0–404 ft)
(avg. 68 m or 223 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Audinghen is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Geography

A farming commune, comprising several hamlets, some 14 miles (23 km) north of Boulogne, at the junction of the D940 and the D191 roads. Cap Gris Nez, the nearest part of France to the English coast, forms the western boundary of the commune.

History

The town was originally named ‘’Odingehem’’, or "Home of Odin," by the Vikings who created a temple here dedicated to the Germanic god Odin. Audinghen has been rebuilt several times after being completely destroyed, including:

  • In 1643 or 1644, according to the interpretations, by a party of soldiers of the King of England, who burned the village population inside the church;
  • Three centuries later, in 1943, by the British, who bombarded and totally destroyed the village (then occupied by the German army).

Population

Sights


Personalities

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Website about Audinghen (French)
  • Audinghen on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.