World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bavarian D XII

Article Id: WHEBN0018223008
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bavarian D XII  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 2-4-4T, D12 (disambiguation), Trix (company), Class 73, DRG renumbering plan for steam locomotives, List of Alsace-Lorraine locomotives, Mühldorf–Pilsting railway, Richard von Helmholtz
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bavarian D XII

Bavarian D XII, Pt 2/5 N
P 2.II (Palatinate)
DRG Class 73.0–1
Number(s): DRG 73 001–028, 031–125, 131–139
Quantity: 174
Manufacturer: Krauss
Year(s) of manufacture: 1897–1912
Retired: 1948
Wheel arrangement: 2-4-4
Axle arrangement: 1'B2' n2t
Gauge: 1,435 mm
Length over buffers: 11,850 mm
Service weight: 68.8 t
Adhesive weight: 28.8 t
Axle load: 14.6 t
Top speed: 90 km/h
Driving wheel diameter: 1,640 mm
Leading wheel diameter: 1,006 mm
Trailing wheel diameter: 1,006 mm
Cylinder bore: 450 mm
HP cylinder bore: 2
Piston stroke: 560 mm
Boiler Overpressure: 12/13 bar
Grate area: 1.96 m²
Evaporative heating area: 104.63 m²

The Bavarian Class D XII steam locomotives were manufactured by the firm of Krauss from 1897 for the Royal Bavarian State Railways (Königlich Bayerische Staatsbahn). Ninety six of them were procured for service on the stub lines running from Munich into the mountains, but in reality they were stationed in many large Bavarian locomotive depots (Bahnbetriebswerke or Bw). Two engines were transferred to the Palatinate Railway (Pfalzbahn) in 1916, the remaining 94 later joined the Deutsche Reichsbahn fleet and were incorporated as DRG Class 73.0-1 with operating numbers 73 031–124.

The Palatinate Railway procured the almost identical Palatine P 2.II class in 31 examples during the years 1900 to 1903. 28 engines were taken over as 73 001–028 by the Deutsche Reichsbahn, the remaining three were handed over to the Saar Railway (Saarbahn).

Between 1903 and 1912, 37 engines went to the Imperial Railways in Alsace-Lorraine (Reichseisenbahnen in Elsaß-Lothringen) and were given the numbers T 5 6601–6637. One of these vehicles was taken over by the Deutsche Reichsbahn under operating number 73 125.

The Bavarian Pt 2/5 H built in 1906 as a one-off, had shown that the use of a superheater brought no clear gains due to the low coupled axle load. As a result, in 1907 nine similar machines with saturated steam operation were built, the as Bavarian Pt 2/5 N class. These engines were incorporated into the Deutsche Reichsbahn as numbers 73 131 to 73 139.

Most of the locomotives were retired by 1925; but several examples were still in the vehicle park until 1948.

See also

External links

  • There is a relevant English-language forum at Railways of Germany
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.