World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bukit Timah Road

Article Id: WHEBN0006140010
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bukit Timah Road  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: King Albert Park MRT Station, Nicoll Highway, Tanglin, The Chinese High School (Singapore), Pasir Ris Drive 3
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bukit Timah Road

Bukit Timah Road & Upper Bukit Timah Road
Bukit Timah Road is shown as a double light blue line
Route information
Length: 25 km (16 mi)
Existed: 1845 – present
Major junctions
North end: Bukit Panjang
  PIE, ORRS (Adam Road), CTE, NSE
South end: Little India
Highway system
Dunearn Road, eastbound towards the city.

Bukit Timah Road (Chinese: 武吉知马路; Malay: Jalan Bukit Timah; Tamil: புக்கித் திமா வீதி) is a major road in Singapore extending from the city centre to Woodlands Road on the way to Johor Bahru in Malaysia. The road has a length of 25km (15.5 miles), which makes it one of the longest roads in Singapore, and the road takes its name from the hill. En route, it passes through the areas of Little India, Newton Road, Farrer Road, Singapore Botanic Gardens and Bukit Timah.

Bukit Timah Road splits into two roads at Newton Circus, the west-bound Bukit Timah Road and east-bound Dunearn Road, both of which straddle a canal along their entire lengths. Bukit Timah Road begins at the junction with Rochor Canal Road, Serangoon Road and Selegie Road just south of Tekka Centre as Bukit Timah Road, follows a canal in a northwest direction up to its junction with Clementi Road where it continues northwards as Upper Bukit Timah Road (武吉知马路上段) until the junction with Bukit Panjang Road and Choa Chu Kang Road near the Ten Mile Junction shopping mall as Woodlands Road. The road passes through the Bukit Timah Planning Area. Buildings named after the road are Bukit Timah Plaza and Bukit Timah Shopping Centre. This road also is affected with the North-South Expressway construction.

Contents

  • Politics 1
  • History 2
  • Etymology 3
  • Landmarks 4
  • References 5

Politics

Bukit Timah is served by Tanjong Pagar GRC and Holland-Bukit Timah GRC , and is served by 5 MPs ,namely Indranee Rajah , Melvin Yong Yik Chye and Chan Chun Sing for the Tanjong Pagar GRC area,and Christopher de Souza and Sim Ann for the Holland-Bukit Timah GRC area.

History

The road was built in 1845 and the area was populated with tigers that it was said to be a serious threat to humans. The first horseback ride in the island was along Bukit Timah in 1840, which took four days and was made by Mr Thomson and Dr. Little. In 1860, about 200 people were killed by the tigers in and about the gambier and pepper plantations. The road was also the last defensive stand against the Japanese army in 1942. The British surrendered to the Japanese at the Old Ford Motor Factory at Upper Bukit Timah Road. A canal was built in later years between Dunearn Road and Bukit Timah Road to solve the flooding problem in the area. In the 1990s, a tunnel and a flyover was constructed namely the Bukit Timah Underpass and the Wayang Satu Flyover in order to improve traffic flow. The Newton Flyover was built in the 1970s which goes over the junction of Newton Circus becoming the first ever Semi-Expressway standalone road, that features both the underpass and flyover without changing any direction.

Currently, the road is prone to heavy traffic due to the recent construction of Downtown MRT Line Stage 2, which will be finished in the first quarter of 2016. [1] In addition, the Land Transport Authority is planning to construct a new flyover along Upper Bukit Timah Road and Woodlands Road over the junction of Bukit Panjang Road and Choa Chu Kang Road to improve the traffic conditions in the future. It will be completed around the end of 2015[2]

Etymology

Bukit Timah Road westbound towards Bukit Timah, near the Singapore Botanic Gardens.

Bukit Timah Road is known as tek kha kang a ki in Hokkien, which means "the side of the stream in tek kha (Selegie Road) district". This only refers to the eastern end of the road. The Wayang Satu (Whitley) and Bukit Timah village were differently called. They also referred the road as bee chia lo bue, meaning the "end of the horse carriage road".

Landmarks

Along the road, major landmarks include Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road), Balmoral Plaza, Coronation Plaza, Hwa Chong Institution, Kandang Kerbau Women's and Children's Hospital, Kampong Java Park, King Albert Park, Little India MRT Station, Methodist Girls' School, National Junior College, Nanyang Girls' High School, Newton Food Centre, Newton, Singapore Botanic Gardens, Singapore Institute of Management, Serene Centre, Tekka Centre, Ngee Ann Polytechnic at the junction of Bukit Timah/Dunrean road and upper Bukit Timah road and at Upper Bukit Timah Road, landmarks include Bukit Timah Plaza, Bukit Timah Market and Food Centre, Beauty World, Cheong Chin Nam Road, Hoover Park, Rail Mall and the Old Ford Motor Factory.

References

  1. ^ http://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=3&id=72fe2558-392b-4334-9d58-7d3aa3c567de
  2. ^ http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publish/onemotoring/en/on_the_roads/road_projects/two_new_flyovers_along.html
  • Victor R Savage, Brenda S A Yeoh (2004), Toponymics A Study of Singapore Street Names, Eastern University Press, ISBN 981-210-364-3



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.