World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Bullecourt

Article Id: WHEBN0004296770
Reproduction Date:

Title: Bullecourt  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Noreuil, Harry Murray, Harold Corbett, Joe Slater, Rex Battarbee
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Bullecourt

Bullecourt
Coat of arms of Bullecourt
Coat of arms
Bullecourt is located in France
Bullecourt
Bullecourt
Coordinates:
Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Arras
Canton Croisilles
Intercommunality Arras
Government
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Jules Laude
Area1 6.43 km2 (2.48 sq mi)
Population (2009)2 243
 • Density 38/km2 (98/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62185 / 62128
Elevation 74–104 m (243–341 ft)
(avg. 92 m or 302 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Bullecourt is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region in France.

Contents

  • Geography 1
  • Population 2
  • Transportation 3
  • History 4

Geography

Bullecourt lies on the Upper Cretaceous plain of Artois between Arras and Bapaume and east of the A1 motorway. This satellite photograph shows Bullecourt just north of centre. Quéant is the larger of the two villages near the eastern edge. The A1 and the high-speed (TGV) railway line run up the western edge. To the south of Bullecourt, a now closed local railway line snakes from east to west.

Population

Transportation

Bullecourt lies in the triangle made by the A1, A2 and A26 motorways and that made by the N17, N30 and D939 roads.

History

There were remains from the Gallo-Roman period and the village was mentioned under the name "Bullecortis", in 1096.

In 620, it was the birthplace of Saint Vindicien, a follower of Saint Eligius, known in French as Saint Eloi. Vindicien became successively, bishop of Arras and bishop of Cambrai. He is regarded as the founder of the abbey named after his mentor, Mont St Eloi, of which Bullecourt became a lordship.

The village has twice been completely destroyed: in 1543 and in 1917. As a result of events in the latter year, Bullecourt is part of Australian, ANZAC history. This arose as part of the Battle of Arras in the spring of 1917, when Bullecourt lay at the southern end of the battle front. See Australian 4th Division (World War I). The 62nd Division was part of the same battle in the sector adjoining that of the ANZACs and facing the part of the Hindenburg Line which lay in the village itself. They returned to the sector formerly occupied by the Australians, later in May. The Musée Jean et Denise Letaille now commemorates this fighting.

Hindenburg Line at Bullecourt, 1920
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.