Collège Ste-Marie

Collège Sainte-Marie de Montréal
Primary students at Collège Ste-Marie in 1919
Active 1848–1969
Religious affiliation Jesuit
Location Montreal, Quebec, Canada


Collège Sainte-Marie was a college in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It ceased to exist in 1969, when it was merged into UQAM (Université du Québec à Montréal).

History

Collège Ste-Marie was founded by Jesuits in 1848. It had an English sector (which called the school St. Mary's College) that later became separate in 1896 as Loyola College. Ste-Marie was never a degree issuing institution, instead, relying on its affiliation with chartered universities to grant degrees. Despite this, it had full curriculum control. Ste-Marie was originally affiliated with Université Laval until 1920, when it was affiliated with Université de Montréal. The college originally offered primary and secondary (elementary and high school level) education as well as collegial studies.

Church

A portion of the original college remains as the Église du Gesù (Church of Gesu, named after the church where St. Ignatius of Loyola is buried), which was originally the college chapel. Built in 1865 and designed by Irish architect Patrick Keely, it is one of the oldest religious buildings in Montreal.[1] Also housed in the structure is the Salles du Gesù, Montreal's oldest theatre.

Notable alumni

Notable faculty

External links

  • Association des anciens élèves du collège Sainte-Marie (The college's alumni association)
  • Salles du Gesù
  • The Church of Le Gesù de Montréal

References

  • L'Encyclopédie de l'histoire du Québec / The Quebec History Encyclopedia - Collège Sainte-Marie, Montréal
  • Cinq-Mars, Jean. Histoire du Collège Sainte-Marie de Montréal, 1848-1969. Montréal : Hurtubise HMH, 1998. 516 p. : ill. ; 23 cm. ISBN 2-89428-335-0
  • Université de Montréal - Division des archives - Collège Sainte-Marie (Montréal) (three images)







This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.