Cwm y Glo is a small village in Wales, some 4 miles to the east of Caernarfon, between Llanberis and Llanrug. It is in the Arfon Parliamentary constituency and the Gwynedd Council electoral ward.

The focus of the village is on the original roadway, now bypassed by the A4086 road, which follows the approximate line of the former railway.

To the east of the village lies the flood plain of Afon Rhythallt, and consequently some houses on the eastern side of the old road (which lie below the level of the main road) suffer some problems.

The village these days is mainly residential but has a number of small businesses. Menter Fachwen is thriving local charity offering work to adults with disabilities and has a cafe, shop and garden furniture factory in the village. The village also hosts a secondhand car dealer, a car repair garage/secondhand car dealership and a picture framers.

The community is policed from Llanberis and has a dedicated Community Beat Manager. (Searchable link included to identify the local Officer)


The origin of the village's name ("Valley of Coal") lies in its connection with the extensive slate industries which thrived in the valley in 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries. The area was home to the charcoal sub-industry, which the foundries at the various quarries depended on to fabricate iron to support the slate industry.

On 30 June 1869, two carts carrying nitroglycerine explosive collided in the village; the resulting explosion killed the carters as well as three others and injured a further eight. The explosion was at the time believed to be the loudest manmade explosion ever, and the debris, allegedly including a cart wheel, was thrown as far as the next village, Brynrefail. To this day an X inscribed on a wall at Clegir along the old road between Bryn Bras Castle and Llanberis, marking the spot where a wheel and harness from one of the carts was flung.[1][2]

In April 2008 a plaque commemorating the tragedy was unveiled on the rock face opposite Y Fricsan (the village's public house); the plaque was paid for by local resident, Martin Kressman, who donated it to the local community council.[3]

Between 1865 and 1965 an LNWR 8-mile branch railway line ran through the village from Llanberis to Caernarfon, but there are no longer any visible remains of Cwm-y-Glo railway station. The line was established by the Caernarvon and Llanberis Railway Act 1864.

External links

  • : photos of Cwm y Glo and surrounding area
  • North Wales Police


Coordinates: 53°08′28″N 4°10′00″W / 53.1411°N 4.1668°W / 53.1411; -4.1668

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.