World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fort Winthrop

Article Id: WHEBN0012551531
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fort Winthrop  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: John Winthrop, List of forts, Governors Island (Massachusetts), Unattached Companies Massachusetts Volunteer Militia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fort Winthrop


Fort Winthrop was a defensive fortification in Boston Harbor named after John Winthrop, the early governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. It was built on Governors Island, which had been granted to Winthrop in 1632. His family owned the island until 1808, when the United States acquired land in the center of the island for the construction of a fort.[1] Between 1808 and 1812 the government built an earthen fort on that land. In 1834 the government acquired the rest of the island, and construction began on a stone fort in the 1840s. Work was halted on it in 1875, and by the 1890s it had been abandoned.

Governors Island, which was separated from other harbor islands and the mainland by extensive mudflats, was joined to the mainland in 1946, as part of the expansion of Logan International Airport.

References

Coordinates: 42°21′07″N 71°00′43″W / 42.35194°N 71.01194°W / 42.35194; -71.01194

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.