World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Headstone Manor

Article Id: WHEBN0010816161
Reproduction Date:

Title: Headstone Manor  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Headstone, London, Headstone (disambiguation), Harrow Museum
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Headstone Manor

Headstone Manor is part of Harrow Museum. It is a 14th-century moated manor house, formerly the home of the Archbishop of Canterbury. It is located in Headstone, in the London Borough of Harrow.

Built in circa 1310, the moated manor house known as Headstone Manor is the earliest surviving timber framed building in Middlesex. Described as ‘one of the most interesting domestic complexes in the whole country’, the fabric of Headstone Manor contains examples of high quality work dating from the 14th, 17th and 18th centuries. Headstone Manor is a Grade I listed building.

Headstone Manor is surrounded by the only surviving filled moat in Middlesex. The moat is contemporary in date to the oldest part of the building, and was constructed as a status symbol to reflect the wealth of the manor’s owner.

The land on which Headstone Manor stands is recorded to have belonged to Wulfred, Archbishop of Canterbury, in 825AD. The construction of Headstone Manor began in c.1310, as revealed by the tree-ring dating of the building’s oldest timbers. John Stratford, Archbishop of Canterbury, purchased even more land around the site in 1344 and used the site as his main residence in Middlesex. Headstone Manor remained in the ownership of the Archbishops of Canterbury until 1546, when it was surrendered to Henry VIII. Soon after, Henry VIII sold it to one of his court favourites, and it remained in private ownership for almost four centuries.

The numerous owners of Headstone Manor made dramatic extensions and changes to the building, such as adding extra wings and changing the appearance of the interior and exterior of the house. Examples of this include the panelling of the great hall in 1631, and the addition of a fashionable brick façade in the 1770s which gives Headstone Manor the appearance it has today.

Over time, Headstone Manor fell into a state of disrepair, and much of its surrounding land was sold off. In 1925 Hendon Rural District Council bought the site. It then passed into the control of the London Borough of Harrow after local government reorganisation. After years of increasing dilapidation, the decision was made to turn the site into the home of Harrow Museum, which officially opened in 1986. The first stage of restoration at Headstone Manor began in the autumn of 2004, focussing on the oldest parts of the building. Due to the delicate nature of this historic site, only tours are available in order to view Headstone Manor.

The manor has a timber framed aisled hall, and the building is Grade I listed. The building was extensively restored in 2004-5. The manor has records dating to 825AD, and the estate is protected as a Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Harrow Museum

The site includes several other buildings, which make up the rest of Harrow Museum: a Grade II* listed Tithe Barn of 1506, restored in the 1970s, an 18th-century Grade II listed Granary, restored and moved from another site in 1991, and a Grade II listed 16th-century "Small Barn", restored in 1995.

Coordinates: 51°35′41″N 0°21′15″W / 51.59472°N 0.35417°W / 51.59472; -0.35417

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.