World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hendecourt-lès-Ransart

Article Id: WHEBN0013063193
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hendecourt-lès-Ransart  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Arras
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hendecourt-lès-Ransart

Hendecourt-lès-Ransart
Hendecourt-lès-Ransart
Hendecourt-lès-Ransart

Coordinates: 50°12′21″N 2°43′59″E / 50.2058°N 2.7331°E / 50.2058; 2.7331Coordinates: 50°12′21″N 2°43′59″E / 50.2058°N 2.7331°E / 50.2058; 2.7331

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Arras
Canton Beaumetz-lès-Loges
Intercommunality Vertes vallées
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Pierre Barrois
Area
 • Land1 2.21 km2 (0.85 sq mi)
Population (2004)
 • Population2 128
 • Population2 density 58/km2 (150/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62425 / 62175
Elevation 90–124 m (295–407 ft)
(avg. 122 m or 400 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Hendecourt-lès-Ransart is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Geography

A small farming village situated 7 miles (11 km) south of Arras, on the D4 road.

History

The etymology of the name begins as ‘’’Hetnanicurtis’’, the small area (curtis) belonging to someone by the name of Hetna, in the Merovingian time. The name has changed over the years: Hendecourdelle (1300); Hendecourdel (1300, 1380, 1450, 1457, 1552, 1556, 1574, 1578); Hendecordel (1338, 1400); Hennecourt (1500); Hendecorde (1565); Hennnecordel (1723); Hendecourt (1804); Hendecourt-Lez-Ransart in the 19th century and finally Hendecourt-Les-Ransart.
The first chateau was probably built around 1703 by Louis-Joseph Le Sergeant of Hendecourt on the site of an earlier manor house. The chateau and its farm were sold in 1878 to the Diesbach de Belleroche family from Fribourg Switzerland, who still own it today.
The entire village and chateau were completely destroyed between 1914-1918 then rebuilt. The old flour mill was dismantled in 1912.

Population

Historical population of Hendecourt-lès-Ransart
Year 1962196819751982199019992004
Population 126132120118123125128
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

Places of interest

  • The church of Notre-Dame, rebuilt along with the rest of the village, after World War I.
  • The chateau.

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Hendecourt-lès-Ransart on the Quid website (French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.