World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hobe Fort

Article Id: WHEBN0013816222
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hobe Fort  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Japanese invasion of Taiwan (1895)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hobe Fort

Hobe Fort or Huwei Fort (Chinese: 滬尾砲台; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Hō͘-bé/Hō͘-bóe Phàu-tâi) is located a short distance away from Fort Santo Domingo, near the town of Tamsui, Taipei on the island of Taiwan.

In the 1880s Imperial China (Qing Dynasty) and France fought a war over today's Vietnam. In October 1884 in the Keelung Campaign, the French fleet sailed to northern Taiwan where it blockaded the ports of Keelung and Tamsui, and then landed troops at both places. The Chinese managed to turn back the assault at Tamsui, though Keelung fell to the French. Eventually the Chinese government signed a treaty granting the French extensive privileges.


The Sino-French War (1884-1885) at Danshui proved to the Qing government that their coastline defense wasn't as secure as it needed to be.[1] Following the war, the Chinese government decided to strengthen Taiwan's coastal defenses with forts at Keelung, Tainan - Fort Zeelandia and (Fort Anping) - and Tamsui. All in all the government reached the decision to construct ten new forts. Hobe Fort, or 'Bei Men Suo Yao', which translated to 'gate keeper of the northern Taiwan', was one of these ten forts. To ensure that the new forts would be up to date, the government commissioned the German military engineer Max E. Hecht to supervise the construction, which began in 1886 and finished in 1889. When Hobe Fort was finished it had a rectangular structure and commanded the Tamsui River; its armament consisted of a massive 10-inch, one 8-inch, and two 6-inch guns.

Because the fort never saw combat it remains almost entirely intact. The barracks that once stood in the central square are gone, as are the guns, but the outer walls, vaults and gate are close to their original conditions. One enters the fort through a gate that still bears the original inscription Beimensuoyao (北門鎖鑰), given by governor Liu Mingchuan, who was governor at the time of the fort's construction. The vaults inside the fort now contain a museum about the French landing in Tamsui.

External links

  • The Tamsui Foreign Cemetery

References


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.