World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Holdfast Bay

Article Id: WHEBN0007948597
Reproduction Date:

Title: Holdfast Bay  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Proclamation Day, Ngadjuri, August Kavel, Coromandel Valley, South Australia, Seal Bay Conservation Park
Collection: Bays of South Australia, Gulf St Vincent
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Holdfast Bay

Holdfast Bay
Looking north along the beach at Holdfast Bay to Glenelg
Holdfast Bay is located in South Australia
Holdfast Bay
Location in South Australia
Location Gulf St Vincent, South Australia
Coordinates [1]
Type Bay
Primary outflows Gulf St Vincent
Basin countries Australia
Frozen never
Settlements Glenelg

The Holdfast Bay is a small bay in Gulf St Vincent, next to Adelaide, South Australia. Along its shores lie the City of Holdfast Bay and the popular beach-side suburb of Glenelg.

European settlement on Holdfast Bay

The bay was named by Colonel William Light, South Australian surveyor general, in mid-1836. In his journal he expressed his pleasure at the quality of the anchorage after riding out a storm.[2] Holdfast Bay was the site of the landings in 1836 and 1837 by pioneers who were to set up the colony of South Australia. On 8 November 1836 Robert Gouger, Colonial Secretary and Chief Magistrate, arrived there aboard the Africaine and set up camp near The Old Gum Tree. With the arrival of Governor Hindmarsh on 28 December and the proclamation of the new colony, the Holdfast Bay settlement became the first seat of government of South Australia. (It remained the seat of government until mid-March 1837.) On 31 December 1836 the Holdfast Bay settlement was renamed Glenelg.

References

  1. ^ "Holdfast Bay (SA)".  
  2. ^ Elder, David (1984). William Light's Brief Journal and Australian Diaries. Adelaide: Wakefield Press. p. 29.  

External links

  • History of South Australia
  • Holdfast Bay, Glenelg - Historic Landing Spot
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.