World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Holmes Community College

 

Holmes Community College

Holmes Community College
Type Community
President Dr. Glenn Boyce
Location

Grenada, Ridgeland, and Goodman,, Mississippi, USA
32°58′10″N 89°54′59″W / 32.96944°N 89.91639°W / 32.96944; -89.91639

Mascot Bulldog
Website http://www.holmescc.edu/

Holmes Community College is a community college located in the state of Mississippi, headquartered in the Goodman Campus in Goodman.[1]

The system has three campuses in the cities of Grenada, Ridgeland, and Goodman, which is the location of the main or original campus. Holmes has satellite campuses in Kosciusko and Webster County as well. Holmes Community College traces its origin to 1911 when plans were made to establish Holmes County Agricultural High School in Goodman, Mississippi. The town of Goodman provided 40 acres (160,000 m2) of land (along with free water from the community's artesian well) on the west side of town, and the Board of Trustees purchased an additional 42 acres (170,000 m2) adjacent to the original school location. The mascot of Holmes Community College is the bulldog.

History

Holmes Community College originally began as Holmes County Agricultural High School, established in 1911 when the town of Goodman provided forty acres of land and the Board of Trustees bought forty-two acres of land on the west side of Goodman, Mississippi. In 1922, the Mississippi Legislature made it legal for agricultural high schools to add two years of college work. Holmes added the first year of college work in the 1925-1926 school session and a sophomore year of college work in the 1928-1929 school session. [2]

Campuses

Notable Alumni

References

External links

  • Holmes Community College - Official site.

Coordinates: 32°58′10″N 89°54′59″W / 32.96944°N 89.91639°W / 32.96944; -89.91639

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.