World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

House of Leyen

Article Id: WHEBN0009372792
Reproduction Date:

Title: House of Leyen  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Glan-Münchweiler, Principality of Leyen, Zell (Mosel), Oberwesel, Rhineland-Palatinate
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

House of Leyen

Coat of Arms
The original family seat, Schloss Gondorf
Waal, Bavaria Castle, family seat since 1820

The House of Leyen (von der Leyen) is an ancient German family of high nobility, the origin of which can be traced to the middle of the 12th century, which had estates on the Moselle. Originally the family was named by its castle in Gondorf (Cunthereve). Since the 14th century it has called itself von der Leyen. Its members had the hereditary office of sénéchal in the bishopric of Trier. They also had Adendorf near Bonn, Leiningen on the Hunsrück, the Lordship of Arenfels and St. Ingbert.

Prior to 1660, Hugo Ernst (line Leyen-Adendorf) became Lord of Blieskastel and, in 1657, was created Reichsfreiherr (Imperial baron) von der Leyen. In addition to its scattered territories the family acquired the lordships of Burresheim and Blieskastel before 1660, where it built a residence around 1760. In 1697 Freiherr Karl Caspar received the county of Hohengeroldseck as a fiefdom from Austria. In 1711 he was created Reichsgraf (Imperial count) von der Leyen. With most of the count's territories lost to Napoleon France, Graf Philipp Franz still retained the county Geroldseck. Upon joining the Rheinbund in 1806, he was created Fürst (prince) von der Leyen. In 1819 the principality's holdings were mediatized under Baden, although the title is still being nominally held by House von der Leyen.

Two members of the family became Archbishop of Trier:

and one Archbishop of Mainz:

The last prince, Erwein Otto Philipp Fürst von der Leyen (* 1894; † 1970), died without male issue, but left his title and property to his grandson, Baron Philipp Erwein von Freyberg (* 1967 ), now Prince von der Leyen und zu Hohengeroldseck.

See also

External links

  • Location of the von der Leyen possessions
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.