World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kington Tramway

Article Id: WHEBN0020962549
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kington Tramway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 1820 in rail transport
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kington Tramway

The Kington Tramway was an early narrow gauge horse tramway that linked limestone quarries at Burlinjob in Radnorshire to Eardisley in Herefordshire.

Parliamentary authorisation, construction and opening

The tramway received parliamentary authorisation on 23 May 1818.[1] Construction started immediately and was completed in two sections. The tramway was built to a gauge of . The tramway adopted the use of cast iron 'L'-shaped tramroad plates in its construction.[2] The vertical portions of the two plates were positioned inside the wheels of the tramway wagons and the plates were spiked to stone blocks for stability. The first section from Eardisley to Kington was opened on 1 May 1820. The western section from Kington to quarries at Burlingjob, 3 miles (4.8 km) east of New Radnor opened on 7 August 1820.[1]

Operation of the tramway

For the tramway's opening, an end-on connection was made with the Hay Railway, also a plateway. This co-operative arrangement allowed the through working of wagons, pulled by horses, along a continuous 36-mile (58 km) line to wharves on the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal.

The tramway was intended solely for the carriage of goods and minerals, and therefore did not carry any passengers.

Merger and subsequent use

The Kington Tramway was acquired by the Kington and Eardisley Railway in 1862. The new company used much of the line of the tramway to build its standard gauge railway, utilising normal rails and steam locomotives, between Eardisley and Kington.

References

Notes
Bibliography

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.