World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Meirionydd

Article Id: WHEBN0000744512
Reproduction Date:

Title: Meirionydd  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 1498, Hedd Wyn, Gwyddno Garanhir, Kingdom of Gwynedd, Ardudwy, Mid Wales, North Wales Wildlife Trust, Petty kingdom, Dovey Junction railway station, Coleg Meirion-Dwyfor
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Meirionydd

Coordinates: 52°45′29″N 3°50′06″W / 52.758°N 3.835°W / 52.758; -3.835

Meirionnydd

Population
 - 1971 29,531
 - 1992 (estimate) 32,900
History
 - Created 1974
 - Abolished 1996
 - Succeeded by Gwynedd
Status District
 - HQ Dolgellau

Meirionnydd is a coastal and mountainous region of Wales. It has been a kingdom, a cantref, a district and, as Merionethshire, a county.

Kingdom

Meirionnydd was a sub-kingdom of Gwynedd, founded according to legend by Meirion, a grandson of Cunedda, a warrior-prince who brought his family to Wales from the 'Old North' (southern Scotland today), probably in the early 5th century. His dynasty seems to have ruled there for the next four hundred years. The kingdom lay between the River Mawddach and the River Dovey, spreading in a north-easterly direction.

Cantref

The cantref of Meirionnydd held the presumed boundaries of the previous kingdom but now as a fief of the Kingdom of Gwynedd where it continued to enjoy long spells of relative independence. It was abolished in 1284 following the Statute of Rhuddlan and reorganised with the addition of some neighbouring cantrefi to form the county of Merionethshire.

County

Main article: Merionethshire

The borders of Meirionnydd were expanded as a county (both historic and administrative) to include the old cantrefi of Penllyn and Ardudwy. It took the name Merionethshire under English Law. In 1974 it merged with the counties of Caernarfonshire and Anglesey to create the revived Gwynedd (county).

District

Meirionnydd was one of five districts of Gwynedd from 1974 to 1996. The district comprised the majority of the administrative county of Merionethshire and reverted to the Welsh spelling of the county's name.

The district was created by the Local Government Act 1972, and replaced the following local government areas of Merionethshire:

Meirionnydd District was abolished in 1996 by the Local Government (Wales) Act 1994, becoming part of the unitary authority of 'Caernarfonshire and Merionethshire', which was immediately renamed Gwynedd as the first act of the new council. An area committee of Gwynedd Council now covers the area.

Template:Wales Districts

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.