World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Palatine P 5

Article Id: WHEBN0018291601
Reproduction Date:

Title: Palatine P 5  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: P5, DRG renumbering plan for steam locomotives, Class 77, Richard von Helmholtz
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Palatine P 5

Palatine P 5
DRG Class 77.0
Palatine Pt 3/6
Bavarian Pt 3/6
DRG Class 77.1
Number(s): Palatinate: 310 - 321
DRG 77 001–012
Palatinate: 330 - 338, 401-410
Bavaria: 6101 - 6110
DRG 77 101–129
Quantity: 12 29
Manufacturer: Krauss
Years of Manufacture: 1908 1911–1923
Retired: 1951 1956
Wheel arrangement (Whyte): 2-6-4T
Axle arrangement (UIC): 1'C2' n2t
1925 Conversion to superheating
1'C2' h2t
Sub-class: Pt 36.16
Length over buffers: 13,140 mm 13,460 mm
Track gauge: 1,435 mm
Service weight: 92.9 t 91.1–94.8 t
Adhesive weight: 50,0 t 48.3–48.8 t t
Axle load: 16,7 t 16,1–16,3 t
Top speed: 90 km/h
Indicated power: 633 kW
Driving wheel diameter: 1,500 mm
Leading wheel diameter: 960 mm
Trailing wheel diameter: 960 mm
No. of cylinders: 2
Cylinder bore: 530 mm
Piston stroke: 560 mm
Boiler overpressure: 13 bar
Grate area: 2.34 m³
Superheater area: 35.00 m²
Evaporative heating area: 109.94 m² 110.94 m²

The six-coupled P 5 of the Palatinate Railway (Pfalzbahn) was to replace the four-coupled locomotives in the Palatinate. They were given a leading Krauss-Helmholtz bogie and a trailing bogie in order to achieve satisfactory weight distribution.

The firm of Krauss delivered twelve examples in 1908. One notable feature was the particularly large coal and water tanks requested by the Railway. The Deutsche Reichsbahn took all the vehicles over and converted them to superheated engines. After the end of the Second World War nine were left. Most of them were sold to private railways. The last one owned by the Deutsche Bundesbahn was retired in 1951.

After the Palatine P 5 had proved successful, the Royal Bavarian State Railways (Königlich Bayerische Staatsbahn) decided to procure more of this class in a more powerful version. As a result the Palatine Pt 3/6 was built from 1911. A total of 19 engines were procured. In 1923 a further 10 of these two-cylinder superheated steam engines were ordered for Bavaria as the Bavarian Pt 3/6. They were deployed on the express train routes between Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Munich. All the engines were taken over by the Reichsbahn, the Bavarian versions being given the operating numbers 77 110–119. One machine was lost during the Second World War. The Deutsche Bundesbahn took over 27 engines and retired them by 1954. One locomotive remained with the East German DR and was retired in 1956.

Literature

Horst J. Obermayer: Taschenbuch Deutsche Dampflokomotiven.Regelspur. 2. Auflage, Franckh'sche Verlagshandlung, Stuttgart 1971, ISBN 3-440-03643-X

See also

External links

  • There is a relevant English-language forum at Railways of Germany
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.