World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Religion in Venezuela

Article Id: WHEBN0020441674
Reproduction Date:

Title: Religion in Venezuela  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Christianity among Hispanic and Latino Americans, Religion in Peru, Demographics of South America, Religion in Uruguay, Religion in the Bahamas
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Religion in Venezuela

Iglesia de San Juan Bautista, Aragua de Barcelona, Anzoátegui, Venezuela

Venezuela, like most South American nations, is a predominantly Catholic nation. The influence of the Catholic Church was introduced in its colonization by Spain. According to government estimates, 92 percent of the population is Roman Catholic, and the remaining 8 percent Protestant, a member of another religion, or atheist.[1] The Venezuelan Evangelical Council estimates that evangelical Protestants constitute 10 percent of the population.[1]

There are small but influential Muslim, Buddhist, and Jewish communities.[1] The Muslim community of more than 100,000 is concentrated among persons of Lebanese and Syrian descent living in Nueva Esparta State, Punto Fijo and the Caracas area.[1] Buddhism in Venezuela is practiced by over 52,000 people. The Buddhist community is made up mainly of Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans. There are Buddhist centers in Caracas, Maracay, Mérida, Puerto Ordáz, San Felipe, and Valencia. The Jewish community numbers approximately 13,000 and is mainly concentrated in Caracas.[1]

Currently there are approximately 161,309 Mormons (LDS Church) mostly in and around Caracas.[2]

Venezuela is also notable for its significant syncretic religious traditions, most notably those revolving around the figures of Maria Lionza and Jose Gregorio Hernandez.

In Venezuela, a growing population of Santeria followers has been growing since 2008. [3] The rituals can cost 40,000 bolivars and include the slaughtering of a rooster, a chicken, or a goat.[4]


  1. ^ a b c d e International Religious Freedom Report 2008: Venezuela. U.S. Department of State (2008).  This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
  2. ^ "LDS Starics". Mormon Newsroom. 
  3. ^ "Santeria surges in Venezuela - World news - Venezuela | NBC News". MSNBC. 2008-02-08. Retrieved 2013-02-18. 
  4. ^ "Hasta 40 mil bolívares cuesta hacerse "El Santo" - Actualidad | Últimas Noticias". 2012-08-28. Retrieved 2013-02-18. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.