World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Spratton railway station

Article Id: WHEBN0020854697
Reproduction Date:

Title: Spratton railway station  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pitsford and Brampton railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Spratton railway station

Spratton railway station is a former railway station which served the village of Spratton in Northamptonshire, England.

The station was once an intermediate stop on the Northampton-Market Harborough railway line, which closed in 1981. A section of the route at Pitsford and Brampton station has now been revived as the headquarters of a heritage railway called the Northampton & Lamport Railway.

The preservation society which operates the line has a Light Railway Order up to and including Spratton, and it is likely a station will be rebuilt there in the future. The original signal box has been preserved and is stored awaiting re-use.

History

The branch line from Northampton to Market Harborough was opened by the London and North Western Railway on 16 February 1859. Spratton station opened in 1864[1] adjacent to the level crossing where the line crossed the Spratton to Brixworth road, with four trains each way stopping daily.

Spratton station closed on 23 May 1949, and the line itself closed on 16 August 1981.

|- style="text-align: center;" | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "| Brixworth | style="background:#000000; border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="text-align: center; border-top:solid 1px gray; "|LNWR
Northampton to Market Harborough line | style="background:#000000;border-top:solid 1px gray; " |   | style="border-top:solid 1px gray; "|Pitsford and Brampton |}

References

External links

  • Northampton & Lamport Railway website
  • Spratton station on navigable 1952 O. S. map

Coordinates: 52°19′46″N 0°55′12″W / 52.3295°N 0.9201°W / 52.3295; -0.9201


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.