World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0008848653
Reproduction Date:

Title: Termon  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Jim McDaid, County Donegal, Coláiste Ailigh, Abthain, Quigley's Point
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


An Tearmann
Termon is located in Ireland
Location in Ireland
Country Ireland
Province Ulster
County County Donegal
 • Dáil Éireann Donegal North–East
Time zone WET (UTC+0)
 • Summer (DST) IST (WEST) (UTC-1)
Irish Grid Reference C166178

Termon (Irish: An Tearmann, meaning "place of sanctuary") is a village and townland in the north of County Donegal, Ireland.


  • Geography 1
    • Rivers and Loughs 1.1
    • Transport 1.2
  • Sport 2
  • Historical sites 3
  • Religious sites 4
    • Doon Well 4.1
    • Mass Rocks 4.2
    • Doon Rock 4.3
    • St. Columba's Chapel 4.4
    • Ethne's Well 4.5
    • St.Glassan 4.6
  • References 5


It is situated eight miles from Letterkenny, Donegal's main town and seven from Creeslough. Termon is made up of many townlands including Currin, Doon, Drumlaurgagh, Drumbrick, Drumoughill, Cloncarney, Terhillion, Gortnalaragh, Clonkilly, Knocknabollan, Fawans, Drumdeevin, Drumfin, Barnes, Stragraddy, Ballybuninabber, Letterfad, Goal and Gurtin, Loughaskerry.

There are several hills close to Termon, including Lough Salt (469m), the hills of Barnes-Crockmore (the "Resting Bishop") at 324m, 349m & 307m respectively, and Stragraddy mountain (285m). All the hills offer stunning vistas along Donegal's Atlantic coast line or into the higher mountain country of Muckish (666m) and Errigal (749m). Going out on the main R255 road one could turn for Gartan, birthplace of St.Colmcille (St.Columba) or head to Glenveagh National Park and its beautiful surroundings.

Rivers and Loughs

  • The Lurgy runs through Termon.Irish - An Lorgaigh see verse in local history
  • Clonkillymore Lough
  • Clonkillybeg Lough
  • Doon Lough
  • Cloncarney Lough
  • Lough Darragh
  • Lough Askerry
  • Lough Mnafin
  • Lough Acrappin - Top of Drumfin
  • Lough Acrabane - Barnes Gap


While Termon itself has little or no Public Service Vehicle (PSV) operators it is well serviced by public transport.

Feda O Donnells buses or BusFeda Teoranta pass on the N56 en route from and to Galway.

John McGinley bus service passes daily en route from and to Dublin.

Logh Swilly busses pass daily with 8 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. services to Letterkenny.

Jimmy O Donnell Castleenan provides a taxi service.

Brian Gallagher Gartan provides a minibus service.

The local community center An Craoibhin has a supply of electric powered cycles available for hire. The cycles have a range of 125 miles.


Termon Gaelic Athletic Association was founded in 1963.[1]

Historical sites

  • Megalithic tomb 1 (Grid.ref C107248) - Barnes townland
  • Megalithic tomb 2 (Grid.ref C107219) - Gortnalaragh townland, known locally as Dermot and Groinna, 2 stones visible from the Terhillion Rd
  • Megalithic tomb 3 (Grid Ref C119211) - Drumbrick townland
  • Standing Stones 1 (Grid ref C108245) - Barnes townland
  • Standing Stones 2 (Grid ref C109241) - Barnes townland (Ogham standing stones) - these are thought to be the original boundaries of 'An Tearmann' denoting sanctuary, as those seeking it were thought to be within the Kilmacrenan Abbey.See local history below-Frank Mc Gettigan
  • Cillin 1 (Grid ref C109240) - Barnes townland
  • Cillin 2 (Grid ref C125206) - Clonkilly townland
  • Ring Fort (Grid ref C121216) - Drumbrick townland, situated at the top of Drumbrick hill, visible from the Burn road

Religious sites

Several sites around Termon are significant to the Roman Catholic faith in Donegal.

A view of the church and Termon

Doon Well

Doon Well (Irish: Tobar an duin) was established by Lector O'Friel sometime around the 1670s. Doon Well's origins are pre-Christian:

  • A 'togher' (ancient wooden road) runs underneath the bog adjacent to Doon Rock
  • Bronze Age artefacts have been found near the well
  • The water used in the inauguration ceremony of the O'Donnells would have been carried from the well. Stations and rosary are still 'walked' from St. Columba's chapel to Doon Well on Hogmanay (New Year's Eve) and May eve.

Mass Rocks

The Mass Rocks (Irish: Carraig an Aifreann) were used during penal times (1695–1741). There are thought to be several more in the Termon area and were generally in areas were people could meet, practice their faith and post a look out to warn the congregation. Priests usually said mass under pain of death, if they were caught the priest would find himself put into a barrel of nails and thrown of the cliff near Doon rock at 'Binn an Sagairt' or Hill of the Priest. There is also a mass rock in the Terhillion townland of Termon, Terhillion (Tirkillin) means place of little huts or churchyard. The town land of Fawans has a mass rock which is high up in the townland.

Doon Rock

Doon Rock (120m approx) is the site where 25 O'Donnells were inaugurated chieftain from Eighneachan 1200 to Niall Garbh 1603. Red Hugh O'Donnell was inaugurated on 3 May 1592. Cahir Rua O'Dogherty, a lesser Gaelic chieftain, was defeated here by Sir Arthur Chichester in 1608, after staging a rebellion. This event was a significant influence on the formulation of plans for the plantation of Ulster.

The cross and a panoramic view of Termon.

St. Columba's Chapel

Termon is served by St. Columba's Chapel (1854–present). The parish priest is Fr Patrick McHugh.[2]

Ethne's Well

Ethne's Well (Irish: Turas an Ri), in the Barnes townland, is named after Columba's mother. Ethne is strongly associated with the area. This holy well had stations performed on 9 June for nine nights.


St.Glassan (Irish: Glasny) is a saint of the parish of whom little is known. The "Martyrology of Donegal" gives his feast day as 1 October. The grave of Father Glassan (Frater Cassians) is thought to be in the Stragraddy townland of Termon.


  1. ^
  2. ^ Maguire, Stephen (31 August 2012). "Duffy funeral told Donegal win would honour memory". The Irish Times. Retrieved 31 August 2012. Among the 1,500 mourners at yesterday's funeral at St Columba's Church were Donegal GAA players Michael Murphy, Karl Lacey, Mark McHugh and Brendan Boyle. [...] Members of Mr Duffy's club Termon provided a guard of honour to and from the funeral Mass, as did a number of other clubs including Glenswilly and Gaoth Dobhair. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.