USS Autauga (AK-160)

Career (US)
Ordered: as C1-M-AV1) hull, MC hull 2105
Laid down: 10 May 1944
Launched: 7 August 1944
Acquired: 24 November 1944
Commissioned: 24 November 1944
Decommissioned: 24 June 1946
Struck: 19 July 1946
Fate: sold in 1949
General characteristics
Displacement: 2,382 t.(lt) 7,540 t.(fl)
Length: 388 ft 8 in (118.47 m)
Beam: 50 ft (15 m)
Draught: 21 ft 1 in (6.43 m)
Propulsion: Diesel, single screw, 1,700shp
Speed: 11.5 kts
Complement: 79
Armament: one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, six 20mm guns

USS Autauga (AK-160) was an commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service in World War II. She was responsible for delivering troops, goods and equipment to locations in the war zone.

Autauga (AK-160) was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2105) on 10 May 1944 at Richmond, California, by the Kaiser Cargo Co.; launched on 7 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Leroy Lloyd; delivered to the Navy at her builder's yard on 24 November 1944; and commissioned the same day, Lt. Comdr. George L. Eastman, USNR, in command.

World War II Pacific Theatre operations

After conversion to a cargo ship at the Navy Drydocks, Terminal Island, California, between 6 December 1944 and 9 January 1945, Autauga conducted her shakedown training out of San Pedro, California, from 10 to 22 January before shifting to Port Chicago, California early in February to load cargo. Autauga then departed San Francisco, California, on 16 February and, following a stop in the Marshalls, reached the Carolines one month later. After reporting to Commander, Service Squadron (ServRon) 10, at Ulithi as an ammunition issue and rework ship, she received from bulk carriers and then issued them to ships and craft that ranged from patrol boats to battleships.

End-of-war activity

Leaving Ulithi in her wake on 9 July, the cargo ship sailed for the Marshalls and reached Eniwetok on the 16th to resume operation as an ammunition issue and rework vessel of Service Division 102. After hostilities with Japan ended in mid-August, she sailed for the United States on 8 November, having serviced almost 400 ships.

Autauga reached the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard on the 29th. Although initially earmarked for delivery to the War Shipping Administration (WSA) at Norfolk, Virginia, she was later directed to remain in the 13th Naval District because of the heavy workload at Norfolk.

Post-war decommissioning

Decommissioned on 24 June 1946, Autauga was delivered to the WSA the next day, and her name was struck from the Navy List on 19 July 1946.

Acquired by the Koninklijke Nederlandsche Stoomboot N.V. of Amsterdam, Holland, and renamed SS Hersilia, the former Navy cargo ship operated out of Amsterdam, under the Dutch flag, from 1949 to 1962. Subsequently bought by the Saudi Arabian concern, the Saudi Lines, and renamed Fauzia B, she served commercially from 1963 to 1971 before her name disappeared from contemporary shipping registers in 1972.

References

This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

External links

  • NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive - AK-160 Autauga


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.