World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Falcon (AM-28)

Article Id: WHEBN0011468308
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Falcon (AM-28)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Thomas Eadie, McCann Rescue Chamber, Joseph H. Patterson, Charles Wesley Shilling
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Falcon (AM-28)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Falcon.
USS Falcon
Career
Name: USS Falcon
Builder: Gas Engine and Power Co., and C. L. Seabury Co., Morris Heights, New York
Launched: 7 September 1918
Commissioned: 12 November 1918, as Minesweeper No.28
Decommissioned: 18 June 1946
Reclassified: AM-28, 17 July 1920
ASR-2, 12 September 1929
Fate: Sold, 12 March 1947
General characteristics
Class & type: Template:Sclass/core
Displacement: 950 long tons (965 t)
Length: 187 ft 10 in (57.25 m)
Beam: 35 ft 6 in (10.82 m)
Draft: 12 ft 7 in (3.84 m)
Speed: 14 knots (26 km/h; 16 mph)
Armament: 2 × 3 in (76 mm) guns

The third USS Falcon, (AM-28/ASR-2) was Template:Sclass/core in the United States Navy. She later became a submarine rescue ship.

Falcon was launched 7 September 1918 by Gas Engine and Power Co., and C. L. Seabury Co., Morris Heights, New York; sponsored by Mrs. W. J. Parslow; and commissioned 12 November 1918, Lieutenant B. E. Rigg in command. She was reclassified ASR-2 on 12 September 1929.

North Atlantic operations

Originally commanded by Sam Trohman, from December 1918 to May 1919, Falcon served on temporary duty in the 4th Naval District as a lightship. After towing targets and various craft along the U.S. East Coast, an occupation with salvage duty which was to be her major employment for many years, she sailed from New York on 8 August 1919 for Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, Scotland. For two months she aided in clearing the North Sea of the vast number of mines laid there in World War I, returning to Charleston, South Carolina, 28 November 1919.

Falcon made a second voyage to European waters between March and August 1920, visiting Rosyth, Scotland, and Brest, France, and returning by way of the Azores with a captured German submarine in tow for the Panama Canal Zone. Back at Hampton Roads 18 October 1920, she returned to towing, salvage, and transport duty along the east coast. After conducting salvage operations on USS S-5 through the summer of 1921, she was assigned permanently to submarine salvage work, based at New London, Connecticut. She continued to perform occasional towing duty, and from time to time sailed to the Caribbean on both salvage and towing duty.

Salvage operations

In 1925, Falcon joined the Control Force for operations in the Panama Canal Zone, along the U.S. West Coast, and in the Hawaiian Islands. She returned to home waters in September, and began her part in the salvage operations on USS S-51 in which she joined that fall and the next spring. After the submarine was raised through determined and ingenious efforts, it was Falcon who towed her to New York in July 1926, providing air pressure for the pontoons supporting the submarine, as well as her compartments.

Acting as tender as well as salvage ship for submarines, Falcon accompanied them to fleet exercises in waters from Maine to the Panama Canal Zone, and conducted many operations to develop rescue techniques, as well as training divers. She stood by during deep submergence runs and other tests of new submarines, and played an important role in raising USS Squalus in the summer of 1939, and in the rescue operations on USS O-9 in June 1941.

World War II operations

Throughout World War II, aging but still able, Falcon sailed out of New London, Connecticut and Portsmouth, New Hampshire, on salvage, towing, and experimental operations. When at New London, she usually served as flagship for Commander, Submarine Force, Atlantic Fleet. Her only deployment from New England waters during the war came between July and October 1943, when she conducted diving operations and laid moorings in the anchorage at Argentia, Newfoundland. One of her most important activities during the war was training divers, search, salvage, and rescue workers to man newer submarine rescue ships.

Decommissioning

Falcon was decommissioned at Boston, Massachusetts 18 June 1946, and sold 12 March 1947.

Awards

References

This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • (AM-28, later ASR-2), 1918-1947
  • (AM-28). Photograph taken c. 1919
  • , Oriole Decommissioned
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.