USS Preble (DL-15)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Preble.
Not to be confused with DDG-15.

USS Preble (DDG-46)
Career (US)
Ordered: 26 October 1956
Builder: Bath Iron Works
Laid down: 16 December 1957
Launched: 23 May 1959
Acquired: 28 April 1960
Commissioned: 9 May 1960
Decommissioned: 15 November 1991
Struck: 20 November 1992
Fate: Disposed of by scrapping, dismantling
10 February 2003
General characteristics
Class & type: Farragut-class guided missile destroyer
Displacement: 5,800 tons
Length: 512.5 ft (156.2 m)
Beam: 52 ft (16 m)
Draught: 25 ft (7.6 m)
Propulsion: 4 1200psi boilers, 2 geared turbines
Speed: 36.5 knots
Range: 4500nm @ 20 Knots
Complement: 377 (21 officers + 356 enlisted)
Sensors and
processing systems:
AN/SPS-48E air-search radar, AN/SPS-49V1 air-search radar, AN/SPG-55B fire control radar, AN/SPG-53F gun fire control radar, AN/SPS-10C Surface Search Radar,
Electronic warfare
& decoys:
AN/SLQ-32
Armament: one Mk 42 5-inch/54 (127mm/54) caliber gun, Mark 46 torpedoes from two Mk-32 triple mounts, one Mk 16 ASROC Missile Launcher, one Mk 10 Mod.0 Missile Launcher for RIM-2 Terrier / Standard (ER) Missiles, two Mk 141 Harpoon missile launchers

USS Preble (DLG-15/DDG-46) was a destroyer in the United States Naval Service. She was the fifth ship named to honor after Commodore Edward Preble (1761–1807). Preble was laid down by Bath Iron Works, Bath, Maine, 16 December 1957. She was launched 23 May 1959 and sponsored by Mrs. Ralph E. Wilson. Preble was commissioned in the Boston Naval Shipyard 9 May 1960, Commander Edward G. Fitz-Patrick in command. She was decommissioned 15 November 1991 and struck 20 November 1992 to be scrapped.

History

After shakedown off the East Coast, Preble transited the Panama Canal and arrived San Diego 2 September. After exercises along the coast of California, she got underway 27 February 1961 en route to the Far East for a six-month tour with the 7th Fleet. She returned to San Diego 28 September to rejoin the 1st Fleet. She remained in the eastern Pacific through 1963 and on 26 February 1964 departed California for another tour of duty in the Far East, 13 March – 20 July.

Rotated regularly to WestPac over the next five years she spent much of her deployed time with the 7th Fleet off the coast of Vietnam. During these tours she served as plane guard for carriers in the Tonkin Gulf, patrolled on SAR, and bombarded enemy positions along the coast. On 19 June 1968 Navy Lt.jg. Clyde Everett Lassen of Helicopter Squadron 7, embarked aboard USS Preble, and his crew flew a hazardous rescue operation deep into North Vietnam to evacuate two downed US Navy pilots. Lassen was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions.

Returning from WestPac in July 1968, she operated briefly along the California coast and in December got underway for Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. There for an extensive overhaul, she decommissioned 31 January 1969, recommissioned 23 May 1970, and returned to the Pacific Fleet.

On 24 January 1973, the United States Seventh Fleet reported that the Preble's torpedo tubes and three antennae were damaged by North Vietnamese artillery while the ship was operating off Quảng Trị Province just below the Vietnamese Demilitarized Zone.[1]

Decommissioned on 15 November 1991 and stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 20 November 1992, Preble was transferred to the James River Reserve Fleet on 30 June 1993. Preble was sold for scrap to J&L Metals of Wilmington, NC on 15 April 1994. Repossessed from the scrap yard and resold on 10 February 1999 to International Shipbreakers of Brownsville, Tx for $85,000, Preble was repossessed for a second time on 10 July 2000 after the scrap yard failed to take delivery of the ship in a timely manner. A contract to dismantle Preble was issued on 20 March 2002 to Metro Machine of Philadelphia, Pa for $3,400,000. Preble was completely dismantled on 10 February 2003.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • This article includes information collected from the here.

External links

  • DLG-15 DDG-46 - Crew, History, & Photos


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.