World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Vieil-Hesdin

Article Id: WHEBN0013389127
Reproduction Date:

Title: Vieil-Hesdin  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arrondissement of Montreuil, Vieil
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Vieil-Hesdin

Vieil-Hesdin
Vieil-Hesdin
Vieil-Hesdin

Coordinates: 50°21′30″N 2°05′59″E / 50.3583°N 2.0997°E / 50.3583; 2.0997Coordinates: 50°21′30″N 2°05′59″E / 50.3583°N 2.0997°E / 50.3583; 2.0997

Country France
Region Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Department Pas-de-Calais
Arrondissement Montreuil
Canton Le Parcq
Intercommunality Canche Ternoise
Government
 • Mayor (2001–2008) Maurice Decoster
Area
 • Land1 9.82 km2 (3.79 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 382
 • Population2 density 39/km2 (100/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 62850 / 62770
Elevation 31–125 m (102–410 ft)
(avg. 37 m or 121 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Vieil-Hesdin (Eng: Old-Hesdin) is a commune in the Pas-de-Calais department in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region of France.

Geography

Vieil-Hesdin is situated 6 kilometres southeast of Hesdin, on the banks of the river Canche on the D340 highway.

History

Once just simply known as Hesdin, this little village was, in the Middle Ages, a large and prosperous town. Its position in the heart of the county of Artois, once part of the Spanish Netherlands, led to its downfall. From 1471 until its destruction in 1553, it suffered many sieges and sackings, as a result of fighting between the Kings of France, the Holy Roman Empire, Henry VIII of England and several French nobles.

The end of Hesdin, as it was then known, was at the hands of Charles V. His 60,000 strong army had already ravaged Metz and razed Thérouanne in April 1553 and he ordered the city and the castle completely destroy. A month later, the wreckers had finished their work. Only the convent and chapel were spared. Some months later, the demolition material was used to found a new city 6 kilometres downstream, at a village then called Maisnil. This new town took the name Hesdin-fert, then Hesdin-fort, eventually becoming Hesdin. The ruined town was known for a while as Hesdin-le-Châtel, then eventually as Vieil-Hesdin (Old-Hesdin).

Population

Historical population of Vieil-Hesdin
Year 1962196819751982199019992006
Population 338338371362364364382
From the year 1962 on: population without double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.

Places and monuments

  • Chateau Estruval. A former convent of the Black Nuns. The façade, roof and cloisters are protected by decree of July 9, 1981. The garden walls and buildings (including two pigeon houses) are also protected by decree of April 28, 1993.

See also

References

  • INSEE commune file

External links

  • Association des Amis du site historique du vieil Hesdin(French)
  • Vieil-Hesdin on the website of Quid(French)
  • French Ministry of Culture
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.