World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

William A. Boring

Article Id: WHEBN0014975873
Reproduction Date:

Title: William A. Boring  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Beaux-Arts architecture, McKim, Mead & White
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

William A. Boring

William Boring
Born September 9, 1859
Carlinville, Illinois
Died May 5, 1937
New York City
Nationality American
Occupation Architect
Practice Boring and Tilton
Buildings Ellis Island

William Alciphron Boring (1859–1937) was an American architect noted for codesigning the Immigration Station at Ellis Island in New York harbor.

Boring studied first at the University of Illinois, then spent an additional year (1885) as a student at Columbia University. From 1887 to 1890 Boring studied architecture at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris along with his friend Edward Lippincott Tilton. Boring and Tilton returned to New York in 1890 to work in the office of McKim, Mead, and White.

In 1891 Boring and Tilton left McKim, Mead, and White to form their own architectural partnership. Among their notable works were the Casino in Belle Haven, Connecticut (1891) and the Hotel Colorado in the resort town of Glenwood Springs, Colorado (1891). The partnership's work culminated in the 1897 design for the new federal Immigration Station at Ellis Island. This work was honored with a gold medal for Architecture at the Exposition Universelle, Paris (1900); a gold medal at the Pan-American Exposition, Buffalo (1901); and a silver medal at the Louisiana Purchase Exposition, St. Louis (1904). The partnership of Boring & Tilton ended in 1904. The men started working independently of one another but continued to share offices and equipment until 1915. In 1913, Boring was elected into the National Academy of Design as an Associate member.[1]

In 1916, Boring joined the faculty of the Columbia School of Architecture, where he eventually became Director in 1919 and Dean from 1931 to 1932. As dean of architecture at Columbia Boring, and especially his successor Joseph Hudnut, encouraged the then-nascent modernism and incorporated studies in town planning.


Ellis Island
The American Seamen's Friend Society Sailors' Home and Institute, now the Jane Hotel

With Edward Lippincott Tilton

Working alone

  • 1906: apartment building at 520 Park Avenue in Manhattan (demolished in 1932)
  • 1907-1908: American Seamen's Friend Society Sailors' Home and Institute, 505-507 West Street, Manhattan
  • 1909: apartment building at 540 Park Avenue in Manhattan, New York City
  • 1910: Casino Mansion Apartments, 200 Hicks Street, Brooklyn, New York City
  • 1911: apartment building at 521 Park Avenue in Manhattan, New York City


  1. ^
  • Mackay, Robert B.; Baker, Anthony K. and Traynor, Carol A. (eds.) Long Island Country Houses and Their Architects, 1860-1940 (1997) New York: Norton ISBN 0-393-03856-4
  • Morrone, Francis An Architectural Guidebook to Brooklyn (2001) Gibbs Smith, ISBN 978-1-58685-047-0

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.