World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow

 

37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow

37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow

Insignia of the 37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow
Active February - May, 1945
Country Nazi Germany Nazi Germany
Allegiance Adolf Hitler
Branch Waffen SS
Size Division

37th SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Lützow was ordered to be formed in February 1945, consisting of remnants of 8th SS Cavalry Division Florian Geyer and 22nd SS Volunteer Cavalry Division Maria Theresia, including former's SS Pionier Battalion 8, in addition to mostly 16- or 17-year old German, Hungarian Volkdeutsche, and ethnic Hungarian recruits. The division was intended to have three cavalry regiments of two battalions each, but due to lack of men and equipment it could only field two understrength regiments as its main combat units.

Initially the division was commanded by SS-Oberführer Waldemar Fegelein, but in March he was replaced by a more competent officer, SS-Standartenführer Karl Gesele.

The division saw action against Soviets as a part of 6. SS-Panzerarmee during the final weeks of war, before surrendering to Americans in Austria in May.

It was named after the Prussian Generalmajor Adolf Freiherr von Lützow (1782 – 1834).

Commanders

Order of battle

  • SS Cavalry Regiment 92
  • SS Cavalry Regiment 93
  • SS Cavalry Regiment 94
  • SS Artillery Battalion 37 (two batteries with le.FH18 10,5 cm)
  • SS Reconnaissance Battalion 37
  • SS Panzerjäger Battalion 37 (one company equipped with Hetzer)
  • SS Pionier Battalion 37
  • SS Signals Company 37
  • SS Medical Battalion 37
  • SS Nachschub Troop 37
  • Feldersatz Battalion 37 [2]

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.