World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

424th Bombardment Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0026965098
Reproduction Date:

Title: 424th Bombardment Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Borneo Campaign (1945) order of battle, United States Army Air Forces in the Central Pacific Area, 1st Photographic Group, 307th Operations Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

424th Bombardment Squadron

424th Bombardment Squadron

424th Bombardment Squadron Emblem
(World War II)
Active 1940-1962
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Role Bombardment

The 424th Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with the 307th Bombardment Wing, based at Lincoln AFB, Nebraska. It was inactivated on 1 January 1962.

History

Formed as a heavy bombardment group in January 1942, trained in the Pacific Northwest under Second Air Force, with B-17 Flying Fortresses. Reassigned to Seventh Air Force in Hawaii, November 1942 and performed performing search and rescue and antisubmarine patrols until January 1943 while transitioning to long-range B-24 Liberator heavy bombers.

Deployed to the Central Pacific from Hawaii throughout 1943 for long-range combat bombardment operations against Japanese forces in the Central Pacific; New Guinea; Northern Solomon Islands and Eastern Mandates campaigns. Deployed to the New Hebrides in Melanesia and operated from numerous temporary jungle airfields, engaging in long-range bombardment operations during the Bismarck Archipelago; Western Pacific; Leyte; Luzon and Southern Philippines campaigns until the end of the war in August 1945. Assigned to Clark Field, Philippines after the war ended, demobilized with personnel returning to the United States, unit inactivated as paper unit in January 1946 in California.

During the Korean War, Tactical Air Command (TAC) trained aircrews at Langley AFB, Virginia. The three squadrons of the 4400th Combat Crew Training Group performing this mission were Air National Guard units that had been called up for the war. At the start of 1953, these squadrons were released to state control and the 423d Bombardment Squadron took over the mission, personnel, and equipment of the 122d Bombardment Squadron, which returned to the Louisiana guard.[1] In January 1954, the group mission shifted to tactical bombardment and it was redesignated the 4400th Bombardment Group. As the group began to anticipate the transition to Martin B-57 Canberra aircraft, TAC decided to replace the Table of Distribution 4400th group and its squadrons with the regular 345th Bombardment Group, which took over their mission in July 1954.[2]

The squadron was activated in 1958 at Lincoln AFB, Nebraska as a result of Strategic Air Command phasing out the B-47 Stratojet, and additional squadrons were activated as part of the consolation of Stratojet wings, and the replacement of the B-47 by B-52 Stratofortresses. The squadron also began sending its aircraft to AMARC at Davis-Monthan in late 1961, and the squadron went non-operational. It was inactivated on 1 January 1962.

Lineage

  • Constituted 35th Reconnaissance Squadron (Heavy) on 28 January 1942
Activated on 15 April 1942
Redesignated 424th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 22 April 1942
Inactivated on 26 December 1945.
  • Redesignated 424th Bombardment Squadron (Light) on 15 November 1952
Activated on 1 January 1953
Inactivated on 19 July 1954
  • Redesignated 424th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 11 August 1958
Activated on 1 September 1958
Discontinued, and inactivated on 1 January 1962.

Assignments

Attached to 4400th Combat Crew Training Group, 1 January 1953
  • 4400th Combat Crew Training (later Tactical Bombardment) Group, 1 May 1953-19 July 1954
  • 307th Bombardment Wing, 1 September 1958-1 January 1962.

Stations

Aircraft

References

Notes

Bibliography

  • Maurer, Maurer. Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Air Force Historical Studies Office, 1969. ISBN 0-89201-097-5.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.