World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

490th Bombardment Group

Article Id: WHEBN0014923541
Reproduction Date:

Title: 490th Bombardment Group  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 13th Strategic Missile Division, 14th Air Division, II Bomber Command, Wendover Air Force Base, 383d Bombardment Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

490th Bombardment Group

490th Bombardment Group
490th Bombardment Group Insignia
Active 1943–1945
Country United States
Branch United States Army Air Forces
Role Bombardment
Part of Eighth Air Force
Boeing B-17G-85-BO Fortress Serial No. 43-38400 "Alice Blue Gown" of the 851st Bomb Squadron. This aircraft completed 67 missions.

The 490th Bombardment Group is an inactive United States Army Air Forces unit. Its last assignment was to the III Bomber Command, being stationed at Drew Field, Florida. It was inactivated on 7 November 1945.

During World War II, the group was an Eighth Air Force heavy bombardment unit in England, stationed at RAF Eye. The group flew 158 combat missions, its last mission on 20 April 1945, after 5,000 sorties. It lost 22 aircraft.

History

Activated 1 October 1943 at Salt Lake City Army Air Base, Utah. Transferred to Mountain Home Army Air Field, Idaho, where Group formed and trained from December – April 1944. Ground unit left for Camp Shanks, New York. 11 April 1944 and sailed on the SS Nieuw Amsterdam, 15 April 1944 arriving Clyde 25 April 1944. Aircraft started overseas movement on 12 April 1944 taking the southern ferry route, via Morrison Field, Florida, via Trinidad, Brazil, Dakar and Marrakesh to the UK. Moved to RAF Eye, England in April 1944 for operations with VIII Bomber Command in the European Theater of Operations (ETO) and was assigned to the 93d Combat Bombardment Wing. The group tail code was a "Square-T".

The 490th BG combat in June 1944 with B-24's, bombing airfields and coastal defenses in France immediately preceding and during the invasion of Normandy. Then struck bridges, rail lines, vehicles, road junctions, and troop concentrations in France. Supported ground forces near Caen in July and near Brest in September 1944.

The group converted to B-17's in October and operated primarily against strategic targets until the end of February 1945. The 490th mounted attacks against enemy oil plants, tank factories, marshalling yards, aircraft plants, and airfields in such cities as Berlin, Hamburg, Merseburg, Münster, Kassel, Hannover, and Cologne. Interrupted strategic missions to attack supply lines and military installations during the Battle of the Bulge, December 1944 – January 1945. Beginning in March 1945, attacked interdictory targets and supported advancing ground forces.

After V-E Day, carried food to flood-stricken areas of the Netherlands and transported French, Spanish, and Belgian prisoners of war from Austria to Allied centers.

Redeployed US July 1945. Aircraft left Eye on the 6 July 1945. The ground unit sailed from Southampton on the RMS Queen Elizabeth on the 26 August 1945 arriving New York 1 September 1945. The group was established at Drew Field, Florida on 3 September 1945 and inactivated there on 7 November.

Lineage

  • Constituted as 490th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 14 September 1943
Activated on 1 October 1943
Inactivated on 7 November 1945

Assignments

Components

Stations

Aircraft

References

 This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the Air Force Historical Research Agency.

  • Freeman, Roger A. (1978) Airfields of the Eighth: Then and Now. After the Battle ISBN 0-900913-09-6
  • Freeman, Roger A. (1991) The Mighty Eighth The Colour Record. Cassell & Co. ISBN 0-304-35708-1
  • Maurer, Maurer (1983). Air Force Combat Units Of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.