World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

516th Strategic Fighter Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0022442357
Reproduction Date:

Title: 516th Strategic Fighter Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bruning Army Airfield, 407th Air Expeditionary Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

516th Strategic Fighter Squadron

516th Strategic Fighter Squadron

Emblem of the 516th Strategic Fighter Squadron
Active 1943-1957
Country United States
Branch United States Army Air Force
Type Fighter
Engagements World War II

The 516th Strategic Fighter Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with the 407th Strategic Fighter Wing stationed at Great Falls AFB, Montana. It was inactivated on 1 July 1957.

History

Established in the spring of 1943 as an A-24 Banshee (Douglas SBD) operational training squadron. Unfortunately, the Army A-24 version of the Douglas dive bomber never achieved the degree of success as did its Navy SBD counterpart. In July 1943, the squadron was relieved of its training mission and deployed to Amchitka Army Airfield, Alaska Territory, to take part in the Battle of Kiska during the Aleutian Islands Campaign.

After carrying out an attack on Kiska Island on August 4, 1943, the squadron returned to the Continenal United States and was re-equipped with the A-36 Apache ground attack version of the P-51B Mustang. Was assigned to the Army Air Force School of Applied Tactics at Lakeland AAF Florida until November when the school was closed down.

Re-equipped with P-51 Mustangs and P-47 Thunderbolts, became a training unit at Galveston AAF, Texas until April 1944 when the squadron was inactivated in a re-alignment of Training Command operational training units.

Was reactivated by Strategic Air Command in 1953 as a strategic fighter squadron; mission to provide fighter escort for SAC's long-range B-36 Peacemaker bomber. Equipped with F-84G Thunderjets, the squadron deployed to Misawa AB, Japan, August-November 1954 to provide air defense. Left F-84G's at Misawa, returned to Great Falls AFB and was re-equipped with F-84F Thunderflash swept-wing aircraft. Also operated a few RF-84F photo-reconnaissance aircraft.

Squadron operated until 1957 when the B-36 was being phased out and the unit was inactivated. The new B-52 Stratofortress and B-47 Stratojet bombers flew higher and faster than the F-84 escort fighters and instead of flying in formations, SAC's bombers flew individually to their selected targets.

Lineage

  • Constituted as: 633d Bombardment Squadron (Dive) on 23 March 1943
Activated on 28 March 1943
Redesignated as: 516th Fighter-Bomber Squadron on 10 August 1943
Disbanded on 1 April 1944
  • Reconstituted, and redesignated as: 516th Strategic Fighter Squadron, on 13 November 1953.
Activated on 18 December 1953
Inactivated on 1 July 1957.

Assignments

Stations

Operated from Amchitka Army Airfield, Alaska Territory, Jul-Aug 1943
Operated from Misawa AB, Japan, 8 August-10 November 1954

Aircraft

References

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.