World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

524th Bombardment Squadron

Article Id: WHEBN0025943972
Reproduction Date:

Title: 524th Bombardment Squadron  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: AGM-28 Hound Dog, Wurtsmith Air Force Base, List of B-52 Units of the United States Air Force, 379th Air Expeditionary Wing, RAF Kimbolton, 379th Expeditionary Operations Group
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

524th Bombardment Squadron

524th Bombardment Squadron

Emblem of the 524th Bombardment Squadron
Active 1940-1993
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Bombardment

The 524th Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the 379th Bombardment Wing. It was last stationed at Wurtsmith Air Force Base, Michigan, and was inactivated on 15 June 1993.

History

Established in late 1947 as a B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bomb squadron; trained under Second Air Force. Deployed to the European Theater of Operations (ETO) in early 1943, being assigned to VIII Bomber Command in England.

Began long range strategic bombardment operations over enemy-held Europe on 19 May 1943; engaged primarily in bombardment of strategic targets such as industries, oil refineries, storage plants, submarine pens, airfields and communications centers in Germany, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway and Poland. Specific targets included a chemical plant in Ludwigshafen, an aircraft assembly plant in Brunswick, ball-bearing plants at Schweinfurt and Leipzig, synthetic oil refineries at Merseburg and Gelsenkirchen, marshalling yards at Hamm and Reims and airfields in Mesnil au Val and Berlin.

On several occasions the squadron attacked interdiction targets and operated in support of ground forces. It bombed V-weapon sites, airfields, radar stations and other installations before the Normandy invasion in June 1944, bombed defended positions just ahead of the Allied landings on 6 June and struck airfields, rail choke points, and gun emplacements during the campaign that followed.

During the Northern France Campaign, the squadron bombed enemy positions to assist ground troops at St Lo during the breakthrough, 24–25 July 1944, attacked German communications and fortifications during the Battle of the Bulge, December 1944 - January 1945, and bombed bridges and viaducts in France and Germany to aid the Allied assault across the Rhine, February–March 1945, combat ending with the German Capitulation in May 1945.

Was reassigned to Air Transport Command and assigned to Casablanca, French Morocco, the squadron used its B-17 bombers as transports, ferrying military personnel from locations in France to Morocco, then south to Dakar in French West Africa or to the Azores for further transportation by other units. Inactivated in place in Morocco in late July 1945.

Was reactivated as a Strategic Air Command B-47 Stratojet squadron in 1955 at Homestead AFB, Florida. Trained with the B-47 and participated in worldwide deployments and SAC exercises. Beginning in October 1960, the squadron began transferring its B-47s to other SAC units and became non-operational. Reassigned to Wurtsmith AFB, Michigan and assumed the B-52H Stratofortresses and personnel of a provisional squadron. During the Vietnam War, aircrews and personnel were deployed to forward bases in the Western Pacific; engaging in combat operations over Indochina as part of Operation Arc Light, Linebacker I and Linebacker II. In 1977, the 524th exchanged their B-52Hs for the conventional bomb capable B-52G.

Retirement of the B-52G began in the late 1980s, however the Gulf War of 1990-1991 resulted in a temporary delay in the inactivation of B-52G units. The squadron deployed aircraft and personnel to Prince Abdullah AB in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. These planes were part of the 1708th Bombardment Wing (P), a provisional wing formed from B-52Gs out of Barksdale, Castle, Wurtsmith, and others. The planes arrived at dawn on the first day of the air war. One plane flew 29 missions out of Jeddah, the most of any bomber crew in the theater. During the Gulf War, 524th squadron aircraft carried the "Triangle K" tail flash in honor of their World War II predecessors and heritage.

After the end of the Gulf War, the squadron was inactivated in 1993.

Lineage

  • Constituted 524th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) On 28 Oct 1942
Activated on 3 Nov 1942
Inactivated on 25 Jul 1945
  • Redesignated 524th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 12 Jul 1955
Activated on 1 Nov 1955
Redesignated 524th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 9 Jan 1961
Inactivated on 15 Jun 1993

Assignments

Stations

Flight of aircraft and personnel deployed to 1708th Provisional Bombardment Wing, Prince Abdulla AB, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, Aug 1990-Mar 1991 (Operation Desert Storm); additional aircraft and personnel deployed in Dec 1990-Mar 1991.

Aircraft

See also

References

  • 524th Bomb Sq/379th Bomb group casualites World War II

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.