World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

525th Bombardment Squadron

 

525th Bombardment Squadron

525th Bombardment Squadron

Emblem of the 525th Bombardment Squadron
Active 1942-1963
Country United States
Branch United States Air Force
Type Bombardment

The 525th Bombardment Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the 4136th Strategic Wing. It was last stationed at Minot Air Force Base, North Dakota, and was inactivated on 1 February 1963.

History

Established in late 1942 as a B-17 Flying Fortress heavy bomb squadron; trained under Second Air Force. Deployed to the European Theater of Operations (ETO) in May 1943, being assigned to VIII Bomber Command in England. Engaged in long range strategic bombing attacks on enemy targets over occupied Europe and Nazi Germany, such as industries, oil refineries, storage plants, submarine pens, airfields and communications centers in Germany, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Norway and Poland. During the Battle of Northern France, the squadron bombed enemy positions to assist ground troops at St Lo during the breakthrough, 24–25 July 1944, attacked German communications and fortifications during the Battle of the Bulge, December 1944 - January 1945, and bombed bridges and viaducts in France and Germany to aid the Allied assault across the Rhine, and the Western Allied invasion of Germany, February-April 1945.

After the German Capitulation, was reassigned to Air Transport Command in June 1945 as part of Operation Green. Used B-17s as transports, flying demobilized personnel to from airfields in France, Germany and Italy to ATC sites in Morocco and Azores. Aircraft turrets were removed and re-skinned, the bomb racks removed, flooring and seating installed to accommodate 30 passengers. The flight crew was reduced to pilot, co-pilot, navigator, flight engineer and radio operator. In addition the engineer and radio operator would act as stewards, to assist and calm the many first time fliers. Inactivated in July 1945.

Was reactivated in 1955 as a Strategic Air Command B-47 Stratojet squadron at Homestead AFB, Florida. Trained in air refueling and strategic bombardment operations with the B-47. in October 1960, the squadron began transferring its B-47s to other SAC wings and became non-operational.

In 1961 was reassigned to SAC provisional 4136th Strategic Wing, being re-equipped with B-52H Stratofortress intercontinental heavy bombers. Was reassigned to Minot AFB, North Dakota by SAC to disperse its heavy bomber force. Conducted worldwide strategic bombardment training missions and providing nuclear deterrent. Was inactivated in 1963 when SAC inactivated its provisional Strategic Wings, redesignating them permanent Air Force Wings. Squadron was inactivated with aircraft/personnel/equipment being redesignated 720th Bombardment Squadron in an in-place, name-only transfer.

Lineage

  • Constituted 525th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 28 Oct 1942
Activated on 3 Nov 1942
Inactivated on 25 Jul 1945
  • Redesignated 525th Bombardment Squadron (Medium) on 12 Jul 1955
Activated on 1 Nov 1955
Redesignated 525th Bombardment Squadron (Heavy) on 9 Jan 1961
Discontinued and inactivated on 1 Feb 1963; aircraft/personnel/equipment redesignated 720th Bombardment Squadron.

Assignments

Stations

Aircraft

See also

References

External links

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.