World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Addiscombe Recreation Ground

Article Id: WHEBN0010109584
Reproduction Date:

Title: Addiscombe Recreation Ground  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Parks and open spaces in Croydon, Woodcote, London, Addiscombe Railway Park, Addington Vale, Apsley Road Playground
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Addiscombe Recreation Ground

Addiscombe Recreation Ground, commonly known as Bingham Park, is a park situated in Addiscombe, London. The park is managed by London Borough of Croydon. Addiscombe tram stop is located just next to the recreation ground, and is served by Tramlink routes 1 and 2. The area covers 8 acres (3.2 ha).

Facilities

  • Children's playground
  • Toilets
  • Football pitches
  • Tennis courts
  • Basketball court
  • Grass areas and flower beds.
  • The ground is locked at night.

History

This small recreation ground is completely surrounded by houses and can only be reached on foot. It was acquired under the 1875 Public Health Act in 1905 and was laid out by 1911 when it was shown on the Ordnance Survey Plan for the first time.

The area was previously farm land and on Thomas Bainbridges map of Croydon the area is shown as two fields belonging to A. Adair Esq. Rapid urban development at the beginning of the 20th century, in Croydon and Addiscombe soon covered the farmland with residential houses.

Addiscombe Recreation Ground was once part of the Ashburton Estate, the estate house stood at the corner of Addiscombe and Northampton Roads. It was the country home of the Barings, the heirs of the Barony of Ashburton. The old Farm House also stood on Addiscombe Road with a track called Love Lane running beside it.

See also

External links

  • Croydon Council - Information
  • Croydon Council - History


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.