World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Allen, Arizona

Article Id: WHEBN0025669136
Reproduction Date:

Title: Allen, Arizona  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pie Allen, List of ghost towns in Arizona, Pima County, Arizona, Peach Pu, Arizona, Rincon Valley, Arizona
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Allen, Arizona

Allen, Arizona
Ghost town
Allen, Arizona is located in Arizona
Allen, Arizona
Allen, Arizona
Location in the state of Arizona
Coordinates:
Country United States
State Arizona
County Pima
Founded: circa 1880
Abandoned: circa 1886
Founded by John Brackett Allen
Named for John Brackett Allen
Elevation[1] 1,785 ft (544 m)
Population
 • Total 0
Time zone MST (no DST) (UTC-7)
Post Office Opened July 5, 1882
Post Office Closed January 11, 1886

Allen, also known as Allen City, or Gunsight is a ghost town in Pima County in southern Arizona. It was founded fifty miles southeast of Ajo, circa 1880. By 1886, the post office closed and the town has been abandoned since.

History

Allen was founded by John Brackett Allen, he named his town after himself. The town was near Quijotoa, Allen is on the western side of the Ben Nexis Mountain and Quijotoa is on the east. When American settlers began flocking to Quijotoa, General Brackett was among them who decided he wanted to build a hotel. So Allen's hotel was built six miles from Quijotoa and the town of Allen sprang up around it. The hotel, according to sources, served the best liquors in the territory and was also one of the more luxurious hotels on the frontier. The small settlement had the hotel, a half dozen houses, a few tents and a post office established in 1880. The population is unknown but likely remained small as Allen no longer had a post office in 1886.

[2]

References

  1. ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Gunsight
  2. ^ Sherman, James E.; Barbara H. Sherman (1969). "Allen". Ghost Towns of Arizona (First ed.). University of Oklahoma Press. p. 10.  


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.